Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Where are all the replies ?

I'll just assume that people using that phrase is a pet peeve of yours, not that didn't get what I meant. Or is a pet peeve a logical fallacy, too? Irregardless, I could care less...
    I drink, therefore I am.

i used to be a very regular commenter but no longer have the time. If someone asks me a question ill certainly respond to it. I still view the forum several times a week to see what projects everyone are up to. It'll be a shame if I am no longer able to look at what people create.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Irregardless, I could care less...
    Touche'
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

This one requires a response! As has been already said many times by the time I get to the thread what I would have said has already been said.
    I seldom respond but I read almost all of the threads twice a day. SMC is a sensitve woodturning resource.
    Thanks for being

I admit that the forum here is my addiction. Between the turning and neanderthal it is like going to school. I never really raised my hand there either ) When I do see something that really knocks my socks off, gets me curious how did they do that or I think I can add a little then I post. For form and color criticism I am too new a turner to really tell but learn from others comments on the subject for sure. Food for thought as they say and making me think of wood in new ways.

I've been sitting in the weeds, watchin' the responses to this Thread. I do participate in a few Threads but only when I have something that I think worth while saying. I usually log in and read posts 2 or three times a day so I add to the visitors several times a day. My problem is, many to the posts relate to 'taste' as far as I am concerned and I hesitate to comment based on MY taste, even my wife says it's all in my mouth, as in 'I don't have any'. I do like to see what people are doing and get most of my ideas from the posts and really appreciate what everyone is doing even if I don't 'like' all the pieces. I turn lots of bowls and am trying to find new things to try that make my turning even more fun!
    Thanks to all that post!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montgomery Scott View Post
    I believe he was being sarcastical in his facetiousality...

Uh, yeah...English 101...irregardless ain't a word. And the statement that many use, "I could care less." when they mean that they don't care is really stating the opposite. If you say you could care less, that means that you possess some modicum of caring. The correct statement would be, "I couldn't care less." meaning that you care so little, there is no room for any more apathy.

Just thought I would explain that since you may not have understood it...
    I drink, therefore I am.

So..I realize Im new but missing the point of this thread? What is gained exactly by having replies? Is it a pride thing or making sure your being seen and or heard? I dunno..I look around a lot as Im a visual learner...dont feel totally competent to say and or critique much.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Menzli View Post
    So..I realize Im new but missing the point of this thread? What is gained exactly by having replies? Is it a pride thing or making sure your being seen and or heard? I dunno..I look around a lot as Im a visual learner...dont feel totally competent to say and or critique much.
    Lately, the point of this thread seems to be diction and vocabulary... Sort of a primer on the English language. The original point of this thread was... Well... I can't remember what the original point was!

Beautiful, David, just beautiful.

Michael, if I may speak for the OP, I believe he was curious as to why there would be SO many views with SO few responses. Not because of a pride in numbers thing, so much as "why?" thing. In a way, I understand the emotion behind his query. I've posted threads that got a lot of views and very few responses....thought it was a good question, or a good topic, but remarkably, not much response. It makes you wonder what is going through peoples' heads. Where I differ from the OP in this, is that I do understand "why" their aren't more replies. Or, in fairness, I should say that I differ from his initial post. I think he seems to "see the light", and gathering from one of his later comments, kinda wished he hadn't posted it in the first place...or at least not as...hastily. If I were to point a finger at him for doing that, it would be the pot calling tht kettle black.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Just my two cents.......Sometimes when you have a brain fart, you don't realize what a stink it makes....

I know how you feel.I have posted a no. of times [interesting subject matter I thot], and have gotten little to no response, at times.I chalk it up to the fact that I am not a known quantity and relatively new to SM.Maybe it takes a while to be 'friended'.Even when I get few responses,the ones i get are helpful and polite.Usually i weigh in, when i feel my opinion would be valued.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    In a way, I understand the emotion behind his query. I've posted threads that got a lot of views and very few responses...
    I have an explanation for that... it's the accident on-looker effect. People feel an overwhelming need to top and view your threads because they're such train wrecks... they want to see bodies