Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where are all the replies ?

Where are all the replies ?

I have been watching the post and was wondering why there are so many views and no replies. I know this was brought up before but now we're
    getting 3,4,5 HUNDRED views and 10 or 12 replies. Is it just that all these viewers are just taking all the information we put on the forum and won't
    give any info back. I was wondering if theres a way to stop these people from reading the forum after say 30 days of viewing with out any replies.
    I know there is probable nothing that can be done but it really bothers me, it just doesn't seam right.
    Well I guess I'm just venting so I'll stop now.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Harry I think that is a good thing in a way. After so much is said on a thread there isn't much to add sometime. I'm guilty of reading quite a few posts and not posting anything, but it isn't because I don't appreciate those that have something worth while to say. Just think if everyone replied to all the threads, don't even want to think about it. If I have anything to say I say it otherwise I just sit back and enjoy.
    Fred

I agree with Fred. A lot of times, I read the threads and don't have anything new to say. A question has been asked and several have answered it far better than I could. I just don't have anything to add. Hope that's ok.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

I've noticed this before. It's kind of neat, actually. I've averaged a few threads on various forums and it's usually a 25 to 1 reply/view ratio. Of course there are outliers. Views always outnumber replies, without exception. It's the same way across all forums, blogs, video sites etc on the internet. There are always more people needing to learn than there are people with information to impart. Human condition. If you block people from a forum unless they make a minimum amount of replies you'll end up with A) An empty forum or B) A very spammy forum.

Think about it this way: Would you rather have 10 or 12 replies with useful information and a few lighthearted jokes or have to wade through 400-500 posts that say "Yep, read this" to find those 10 or 12 useful or entertaining replies? I read all kinds of things just out of idle curiosity. If I have something I think will be helpful I'll chime in. If not, I usually don't.

Harry, the views are merely a count of how many times the thread has been opened. If for example, like in this thread, I respond to the thread. I make my point. Then I hit send. Since I subscribe to the thread, I'll get a notification each time somone replies to the thread. So does each other person that responded to the thread. When we get our notification, we will or may open the link, and view the thread to see what has been written. Each time someone posts, assume that each person that posted returned to the thread. With each post, the number of views is exponential.

That aside, I've been searching the Creek for the past hour or so (waiting for the fire to get good and hot so I can hit the sac). In that hour, I've looked at a BUNCH of threads, but have replied to maybe only 5-10. So, it isn't necessarily "outsiders" that are viewing Creek threads, it is members, too that look and don't reply. Personally, sometimes I don't reply because I don't know what to say. Sometimes it's because what I have to say has already been said. Sometimes it is my choice to stay out of it. Sometimes it is because I hear a little voice saying "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". And sometimes, I just don't have the energy, time, or focus to compilate an organized thought. Like I just did right there...

Anyway, the bottom line is, chill. People will reply if they want to. I've posted threads that I thought would generate 5 responses with concise answers that ended up monsters with lives of their own. Other times, I think I have a question that will live forever...and squat. We don't all think alike. We don't all respond alike. You "assume" that people are reading the posts, taking info, and milking the Creek. Maybe those people open our threads, read our gibberish, think we're morons, and laugh for hours at our expense...
    I drink, therefore I am.

I will reply right now........What am I replying too? I do the same thing, lately I have been falling asleep in my lazy boy with an ice pack on my back and heat pad on my shoulders and only check a few things before I go to bed. Like Mike says and the others if there is nothing new to add or one might be thinking about it or to shy to ever post anything, you never know what you will get.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Harry, I kinda understand what your seeing. I don't give the ratio of viewed to responded much thought, though. For myself, I don't respond to a thread IF plenty of people have already answered the question, posted a critique that is exactly what I would say or I might just not have anything to say (either positive or negative). It's nothing personal and at least here, I don't and wouldn't read anything into that. On WoW, however, little to no response to one of my post (pictures) tells me that what ever I made...wasn't all that popular to the masses. Here, the crowd is way more social and active and we tend to respond a lot more to everyone's posts.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

OK I'll reply!

Usually, there are more experienced guys, that reply with much more valuable information than I can give. So no sense in repeating. That's already been said. I usually reply when I do have something different to say. MOST times that is not the case though, since there are way way good turners here. Add I am not one of them.

Many times I read a post because I have the same question. Naturally, I won't have an answer for that.

Speaking for myself. I often do not reply to post in the various forums simply because my work is no where near the caliber of many. If some thing does not appeal to me, I do not reply. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Otherwise if there are a large amount of replies I do not reply as well.

Hello Harry
    What everyone else said, already. Tom

A lot of times by the time I see a thread that I could add something to others have already said everything useful there is to say. Piling on like I'm doing now is just noise I actually think it says a lot about both the generous nature and excellent responses generally seen here.

Harry, your right!!! I am a member here and I read almost every post, but I choose not to reply. I don't have the knowledge to join in any conversations, one day when I do I will give my oponion. I am here to get information and learn because I know nothing about turning, except i'm pretty sure i'm going to enjoy it. I hope everyone here knows how much the information is appreciated and continue to give it freely.

Dwight
    The Tsunami is Rising
    Roll Tide
    15 And Counting

I am replying -- not much on my dead brain,, rather just read what you are posting.... not much help - just an old person hanging on.
    921 miles South from that famous person Steve Schlumpf

It used to make me wonder a bit too in the beginning. In the last year I have seen some pretty impressive works come completely "out of the blue" from members who had lurked for a year or more before posting. So it should be somewhat comforting instead of worry some, it means the people who read our threads are "getting it" That's kinda cool in my book
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

The view count is not just people, its also 'bots', 'web crawlers', etc. - search engine tools/programs.
    Your opinions and advice are welcome on anything i post - Thanks