Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where are all the replies ?

I do reply A Lot!! I do it because I know how much work it is to turn. i know folks put up their turnings because they want a response. This is a more social site & I think patting each other on the back is not a bad thing. If you like what someone struggled to make & post..give back & give them 10 secs of your time & say so.!! IMHO
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I kind of wondered why my recent high speed sanding thread only had three responses the first day out of 275 views - all three were positive, from folks who have used the method, and two were by the same person! I had expected at least a few nay sayers, since the conventional wisdom is slower is better. I guess most Creekers are too nice to just come out and say "I think that's a bunch of crap!" It did make me wonder thought, if anyone actually read the article linked to in order to see what I was all excited about.

As far as my own answering, I sometimes respond to many threads, other times not so much. Sometimes it's just a matter of not having time or energy, others not feeling I have anything new to say, I occasionally lose touch for months at a time if I am pursuing one of my other hobbies.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Hi Harry,

Most of the time I'm amazed at the quality of the work posted. Amateurs do the best work and also the poorest work, ths is true in most crafts. While I have a lathe and a computer, I'm not an expert with either. I don't know much Art, didn't he work on the far end? I'm opinionated and have an opinion on almost everything, I would do well to keep my opinions to myself. I'm a little exposed out here, I crawling back under my rock.

Bob Haverstock

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Robinette View Post
    I have been watching the post and was wondering why there are so many views and no replies. I know this was brought up before but now we're
    getting 3,4,5 HUNDRED views and 10 or 12 replies. Is it just that all these viewers are just taking all the information we put on the forum and won't
    give any info back. I was wondering if theres a way to stop these people from reading the forum after say 30 days of viewing with out any replies.
    I know there is probable nothing that can be done but it really bothers me, it just doesn't seam right.
    Well I guess I'm just venting so I'll stop now.
    Well ,,Im just a member,, but heres my view anyways. I think alot of people come on here to view everyones beautiful work. No, I dont post on everyhting I see or read, but if it catches my eye or my attention, yes ,, I leave a reply. So,, I really dont think anyone is here to steel yours, or anyone elses super knowledge. But,,, one thing I have noticed is that certain people only reply to other certain peoples posts, and some people reply to everyones post no matter what it is. I have left many posts with alot of views and minimal replies, it doesnt bother me a bit. So,,, my final, I dont thinks its a big deal. Also, I think if you wait 30 days and then dont allow anyone to read it, wouldnt really matter anyways because the post is so far down the line by than, that nobody will see it anyways unless they are searching for it. Kudos anyways, you got alot of replies on this one
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Show them how, and you too, will learn
    Sole proprietor, Up North Burls
    Secretary, Rainy River Area Woodworkers
    Journeyman Steamfitter, Local 589

One must consider that in a typical month, there are upward of 50 MILLION views on SMC - sometimes much more!!! That includes folks from all over the world, and includes both members, contributors, and simply visitors - in addition to the webcrawlers, spiders, etc. At any given point, just take a look at the bottom of the Turners Forum page and you will see a list of the members online (including contributors), but also a notation of the number of visitors - nearly always double the members viewing. Those visitors cannot post.

So, factor out the visitors, factor out the members that have a casual interest in the matter posted (look, like, do not get excited - may not even turn), and factor out the folks like those that have posted here that feel they cannot contribute beyond what has been stated, and you end up with a group of participants that numbers less than 100. Just give some thought to those names we all know that post frequently - pretty small number actually, especially considering the millions of views of the entire SMC forum.

Harry, I actually like to see the number of views of something I post more so than the number of comments. IMO it indicates that folks at least want to look. Whether they like what they see or not, at least they are interested.

Don't read too much into the number of replies.

Blog Entries
    I spent a LOT of time looking before I started posting, and even then it was a small comment here and there, maybe adding something of a technical nature when I had an answer. It's the nature of the beast. I see a lot of great works here, but about the only thing I could add to the majority of them is "Looks great!", so I try to limit my use of such comments to the works that speak to me personally.

I likely post more in the Engraver's forum than the wood forums, but that's because I have more useful advice to give there. I may have a lot of pricey wood toys, but it doesn't mean I'm proficient enough at using them to tell others what they're doing right/wrong
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

"Nothing to add...... replied anyway...... you have now wasted 12 seconds of your life reading this..... sorry about that..... "

That is how I interpret a lot of the posts I read. When someone posts something that is not (how should I say this?) pleasant to look at, and the person asks for constructive criticism, a majority of the comments are still about how nice it is, great form, etc., etc. I don't think that you are doing anyone any favors doing this. The answer: don't post or risk looking like a know-it-all when you are the only honest comment behind 10 fluff replies. I really don't see a problem with fewer replies. YMMV
    Last edited by Robert McGowen; 01-20-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Harry, I read a lot of posts, including all of yours. Your Trend AS Pro thread motivated me to research, shop for and buy my own. That thread is long buried, but thanks anyway, you may have extended my life, or at least made the rest of it more pleasant. I reply only if I think I have something of value to say. Sometimes after posting, I realize I didn't.

Dan, I read your high speed sanding post and the linked article. I've experimented with a random orbit sander on platters still on the lathe, and will now try a grinder. I learned from your post, but didn't have anything to say that would further the discussion.

As for the "look at what I did" posts, I look and learn, and enjoy, but I'm so new I don't think my opinion is really what the original poster is after. I could say "Wow, I really like that" and occasionally do, but what would it add? If I don't like it, but can't add any constructive advice, what would be the point?

For me, the questions posted by new turners and the advice they receive are some of the most valuable. I could post that I've been having trouble with that, too, and maybe I should.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Threads here are typically one of two types: those looking for answers to a question, and those posting completed projects.

For the question threads, it's usually 'better' if people don't repost the same answer - or get off on a tangent. (A lot of times I'll type a response and then think 'this offers no new info' to the OP, and I'll delete. I should probably do more of this...)

But for the completed works threads (and there are a lot in the turner's forum) I agree wholeheartedly with you. I think the new and intermediate turners would benefit from both encouragement on jobs well done and more so from constructive criticisms for improvement.

On forums (and there are plenty of them) where comments can be degrading and flaming, I think restraint is a better prescription. But SMC is (the Finishers' forum notwithstanding ) a generous and nurturing place, so criticisms (for me) are welcome.

I personally don't reply to a ton of threads for the same reason as many others, don't feel like I have the experience or knowledge to add much. I sure appreciate the knowledge of others though. I sure would rather see 10 -20 well crafted and honest replies than 100 or more replies with little or no value.

I have been on some forums where people tend to be (pardon the phrase) post wh*res where they post just to get there counts up which they believe somehow makes them seem more important. I like the fact that most of the folks on here with high post counts have the skills and pictures of their work to back up the comments they are leaving.

I'm gonna say I'm just lazy these days, and jus' look at da purty pitchers...

In many cases, I only reply if I have a point of view or information that hasn't been expressed already. If I see someone has already posted what I'd say, I'm not nearly as apt to post.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

You spelled "seem" incorrectly. HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Robinette View Post
    I have been watching the post and was wondering why there are so many views and no replies. I know this was brought up before but now we're
    getting 3,4,5 HUNDRED views and 10 or 12 replies. Is it just that all these viewers are just taking all the information we put on the forum and won't
    give any info back. I was wondering if theres a way to stop these people from reading the forum after say 30 days of viewing with out any replies.
    I know there is probable nothing that can be done but it really bothers me, it just doesn't seam right.
    Well I guess I'm just venting so I'll stop now.

Harry - I've been here for a while and one thing that comes into play that hasn't been mentioned is that is does make a difference as to the actual day of the week and time that something is posted. If you want a lot of comments on something you turned... then your best bet is to post it on a Friday evening or Saturday morning because that is when most folks are done with work for the week and come online to check out what is new. You often get good responses on holidays as well. Course, if you really don't want any replies until later... just post it on Monday morning.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Oooohhhh... Strategy. I like it.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Back in December I posted a question:
    Wood ID Help Please

Within 2 minutes I had a reply identifying the wood, the post has only the one reply and 147 views, no need for more replies.