Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: router lifts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    I find that I am making new tool choices based on my diminishing physical abilities. So I will trade a few bucks for an easier and less painful way of doing things.
    Amen to that Carol. This is supposed to be enjoyable, not aggravating. Cost is always an object but, having decent tools that you can't comfortably use doesn't make much sense. I have stopped saying things like "oh, that won't be all that bad" as I have learned with a few adjustments to my choices, I can work longer, safer and more efficiently.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You spend a pretty penny on a top of the line router and want to go cheap on a router lift? Doesn't make sense. The 7518 deserves a top of the line lift. Any of them would do. I have a Bench Dog Pro Lift for mine and very happy with it. The cabinet is home made to save bucks but the lift is another story.

Like others have said, not an item to scrimp on. You already spent top dollar on a router, get a quality lift and don't look back.

Pardon my persistence - there's been one or two answers, but it seems to me that it's still not clear why to spend lots on a lift given the apparently good job the Router Raizer and extension do for much less money. (note i'm not pushing anything but trying get to some sort of understanding of the issues - the question was i think slightly misinterpreted when answered earlier)

This is not to say that one solution is better than the other, and is a genuine question. What does a lift do that the above set up does not? What at a practical push comes to shove level disadvantages and advantages do both systems have?

I can see that it might or might not be felt ideal to run a large e.g. panel raising bit on an extension, but the makers reckon it's OK up to 3 1/2 in dia. A lift may give more travel, and as a result may lift the router high enough to enable over table bit changes without an extension - but so what if the extension works well. A multiple post heavy construction lift may make a better job of absorbing vibration or deflect less too, but is that an issue with a Raizer? Etc

Ian, part of the reason, and this is based on what I've read because I've never looked at the Router Raizer, but I believe it is made to work with plunge routers. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. The PC7518 being a fixed based router that the motor comes out of the base allows the motor to mount directly to the lift. The lift in turn does all the vertical lifting of the motor. .001" changes are possible with the Woodpecker unit, and maybe other brands as well. Even bit changes are accomplished from the top of the plate with one bent wrench and one straight wrench. Makes life very easy. Is it a necessity? No. Is it a nice luxury? MOST DEFINITELY!!!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Accuracy, precision, ability to adjust in minute increments and robustness. As Jim says a luxury. From my point of view unless you are retrofitting a router you own or one you got a great deal on I would say the routers that do good above table adjustments out of the box like the Tritons make even more economic sense than a Raizer. As for the highend lifts it is nice to be able to adjust the fit of a joint in .001" increments to get just the right amount of friction in the joint. This can be done with a Raizer or most any router but it is far more difficult. It is one of those accessories that just makes you feel good when you use it.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I would keep an eye out for used. I bought a masterlift and big PC at an estate sale as part of a large package including many cabinet clamps, and a bunch of other things including an Onieda cyclone with duct.

I just don't buy this type of thing new when I know that it will occaisonally come up used at a much lower price. Depreciation-- tried it, did not like it.

MastRLift 2 on its way

Hi Carol,
    I have a lot of experience with your question --but only the question. I have been doing a nauseating amount of online research on router lifts.
    I have an Incra table with a PC 8902 which is the base as lift package Porter Cable router, and all I can say is that they call this a lift--I don't.
    It takes me too long to get the bits set. It does not accurately adjust and gets jammed up with dust--also I broke the lock for the collet in the first month--only have had it a year.

I have spent the last two weeks looking online at all the router lift reviews and talking with a few woodworkers I know asking which router lifts are the easiest to use and which are the least likely to get jammed and stuck. So much information out there and all I got at first was very confused.

And finally I called the guys at Incra--to discuss all this. I began by simply asking straight out which is the best, in their opinion, and the guy, Mark, I believe, said without hesitation, the jessum mast-r-lift 2. I talked with him about all the pros and cons of each, the PRL v-2, and the Sidewinder and others as well as the Jessum. After this long conversation, I still was going back and forth but did feel I had it narrowed down to one of three.

And the following day I called again--this time I talked to someone different and they chose the same lift--the Jessum-- as being the one they would personally recommend. I really can't give you any first hand advice from usage experience. But the jessum recommendations I gathered seemed to have the most merit and its "features" seemed to be the most accurate and well built--and it seeems like it may be the least hassle to get up and down quickly and accurately. All their lifts are on sale right now--until Tuesday--so I wanted to make a decision soon. I ordered the Jessum and in a month I hope to get back on here and let people know what I think of it. That's all I can tell you

Carol, sorry to hear of your physical limitations...bummer...perhaps a look at the motorized lift from MLCS should be on your short list...as i do not have one i cannot attest to its capabilities...just a thought. bill

Thanks for the feedback on lifts guys. I'll report in due course how i get on with the Raizer....

ian

I have a PRL V1 in my router table. Its perfect for me.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Can the Rockler 20% off coupon be provided? I searched but could not find it and would like to order the benchdog router table. Thanks, Guy

I have 2 x Jessum lifts.. One has a 7518 installed the other has a 690LR installed. I have played with the Kreg lift as well, both are very nice.

There are a bunch of high quality lifts out there.. all seem pretty nice.. End of the day, if you get a really good one, you will have it for life. Once you have a lift, you will never want to go back.

Turns out a very generous fellow made me a deal I could not refuse and I will be getting an older Woodpecker model. Let you know when it arrives.
    Carol in NV

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    Turns out a very generous fellow made me a deal I could not refuse and I will be getting an older Woodpecker model. Let you know when it arrives.
    If it is the PRL V1 I would say I actually prefer it to the V2 but it may be that I have used it longer. BTW I assume you know you can add the sidewinder to the PRL V1.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.