Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which T-track??

Which T-track??

I need to get some T-track for jigs, etc. but I'm not sure which brand or if it even matters. I know either the Incra or Kreg takes a deeper groove than the other one. Don't know about others. Any thoughts as to whether it makes any difference what I get? What I should be taking into account?

I don't currently have anything with any particular T-track in it, so whatever I choose could be the new go-to track if it matters.

It's relatively cheap so i would get several different brands, and a few styles from each mfgr. If the track will be embedded in wood and might pull up and out of the wood, get some track with the little flanges instead of the straight "U" shape. Lee Valley and Hartville Tool sell it.

You'll need a different router bit to cut the channel for the 'winged' T track. A straight bit will cut all sizes of Dado in wood to seat normal track.
    Last edited by Gary Curtis; 01-20-2012 at 5:12 PM.

I haven't used anything but Incra T-Track and Miter Track. One thing to note was that the 5/16" T-bolts in my 129pc rockler jig kit didn't fit my incra track. The T-bolts in my 1/4" LV kit do. On a lot of wood jigs I'll just route slot with a t-cutter and skip the track.

Blog Entries
    As Erik noticed, different track is suited to different tasks. Most folks run 1/4" hardware. Rockler is big on 5/16" hardware and their universal track supports their 5/16" and 1/4" t-bolts and 1/4" hex head bolts. Lee Valleys t-nuts are larger than most folks t-bolts and I have to modify them to work on any of my track. Incra t-nuts fit almost anything. I have a mix of makers and sizes (all have been very satisfactory) and so at this point (including yesterday) I buy Rockler's universal track when I need "plain old" t-track. I picked up 48" track and a variety of t-bolts and knobs that they sell as a pack on sale for $19. Pretty good deal but, I really don't need anymore knobs ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I stuff I have came from Rockler - their "universal T-Track". Works fine for me. Never tried other brands.......kind of a utilitarian item, from my perspective. I don't think you can go wrong, to be honest........not like you are going to spend hours and hours installing the stuff - you just want something that works when you are done. I don't recall if I had to drill and countersink my own holes - maybe - but I likely would have done that regardless, to get the spacing I needed with custom applications.

The one thing I have learned...the heads on the std hex bolts have a pretty tight fit, so I use flange bolts [toilet bolts] instead. They are much, much easier to slide in and out. The "universal" design permits using either style.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    I stuff I have came from Rockler - their "universal T-Track". Works fine for me. Never tried other brands...
    Same here, I've used only Rockler T-track and bolts. One thing is that sometimes the bolts stick rather than slide down the track. I don't know if this is unique to my setup or inherent in the system as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    The one thing I have learned...the heads on the std hex bolts have a pretty tight fit, so I use flange bolts [toilet bolts] instead. They are much, much easier to slide in and out. The "universal" design permits using either style.
    Now that's a great tip; I shall have to try it.

Mike

I just got the Rockler T-track and hardware Kit on sale for $19.95

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21276

if the bolts stick, just run the the straight side on the belt sander, just a bit off each side, works slick.
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

Can anyone provide some info on the T Tracks. Will the incra or Rockler universal work with Festool quick clamps, Kreg bench clamps, etc.? I am looking at getting either the incra or rockler tracks, leaning towards getting some Rockler because of the sale right now on the T Track.

Thanks.

I don't think the Incra ones will work the Kreg clamps, but I think the Rockler may work. I can check this evening when I get home to the shop if nobody else finds the answer before then.

I have used Incra and Rockler, and cannot really tell much difference. Flange bolts will definitely work better than hex head bolts, but either will do fine in my opinion. I bought a pack of bolts/knobs a while back that has numerous lengths and knob styles, and have never needed to add to it. If you look at my photos, my router table has Incra tracks in the table, and Rockler tracks in the fence and they all work well.
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hines, MD View Post
    I have used Incra and Rockler, and cannot really tell much difference. Flange bolts will definitely work better than hex head bolts, but either will do fine in my opinion. I bought a pack of bolts/knobs a while back that has numerous lengths and knob styles, and have never needed to add to it. If you look at my photos, my router table has Incra tracks in the table, and Rockler tracks in the fence and they all work well.
    The biggest difference between the Incra and Rockler is the depth of the track (the Incra will also not accept 5/16 flange bolts). The Incra track is deeper and better suited for situations when you need to bolt the track down - like on a drill press table - to keep the track from ripping out. The heads of the bolts (10-32 button head) used to secure the track will not come in contact with the bolts that slide in the track. Incra also makes T-track Plus. This is a side-by-side track with one of the tracks facing down. This "upside down" track will take 1/4" bolts for securing to table. Not only are these super secure, they also come with scales. I used the T track Plus on my router table to hold the fence.

The Rockler track, however, is better suited in situations where large upward forces will not present themselves. First, they accept 5/16" flange, 1/4" flange and 1/4" hex bolts. Second (obviously) being thinner requires a shallower dado in the material you are cutting. This is beneficial so as not to take away too much material and weaken your jig. I made a 3/4" sled for my miter gauge and wanted to put in a t-track to hold a bracket so the miter gauge fence would not deflect. The Inca track (1/2") would have been too deep and only left a 1/4" of material under it. The Rockler track is 3/8".

The Incra ones work with the Festool clamps but the Rockler ones do not.
    Last edited by Kevin Gagne; 01-24-2012 at 12:49 PM.

I bought some Shop Fox branded T-track on Amazon a few years ago and used it on a router table. It worked fine, but it was not made to nearly the same standard as Incra or Rockler.

The $20 kit from Rockler strikes me as the best value out there.

If you want a miter chanel included, Woodpeckers seems to have that for a decent enough price.

What dim's are the tracks you use... ?
    Can't really get any of it over here, and must look for other sources.....

I like the Rockler T-track because it's only 3/8 deep. And if you only need 24" long and don't need the bolts and knobs, they are on sale until the end of the week for $6.99 which is 50% off.