Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humorous things that have happened while turning.............

Humorous things that have happened while turning.............

Was turning and behind the face shield this morning and had a sneezing fit. Didn't get the shield up in time. Actually was dying laughing as I cleaned up the face shield.

What funny has happened to you?
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

I had just about saved up enough for my first lathe - a Delta 46-460 - when my daughter asked us to ship a care package to her in Egypt (coat, shoes, Peets coffee, Jelly Bellys). $265 to send it and another $160 to pick it up from the Post Office.

HaHa!

(sniff!)

But really. She is worth that an infinite times over.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Well, I have always managed to get the face shield up before the sneeze, but the final outcome of this one looked like I didn't make it in time.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ure&highlight=

I still laugh when I think about this story, but the wife thinks maybe it wasn't so funny.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

hasn't happened to be while turning, but once I driving to work in a new car and while drinking the morning coffee, sneezed and got coffee all over the inside of the windshield! What a mess!

I once sharpened my bowl gouge 4 times in consternation before finally noticing the forward/reverse switch's position.

Blog Entries
    I have a window across from my lathe w/o a screen. I had a piece come off the lathe and fly out the window, no rim. One second it was there, the next it was gone. Got a great laugh out of it.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I've done the forward reverse switch thing. It does make your gouge seem very dull.

Not sneezed in my face shield, but have tried to blow dust off a piece with the shield down. Didn't work too well
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

I finish sand on the lathe with a 4" vac tube right up against the work. A year or more ago, I was finishing up a bell bottom for a Christmas ornament. I was piercing it while still on the lathe. I had the entire thing pierced and it was delicate X10. Thought it needed a quick sand to soften the outside of the bell and so with the vacuum on I pushed the lathe on button. AND.....witnessed the bell snap off the lathe......get sucked down the tube.....and got to listen to the sounds of it being ground up in the blades of the vacuum! All this happened in about 3 seconds and all I could do was chuckle and go in for the day.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Once, a long time ago, I had prepped a large heavy bowl blank and had mounted it on the outboard side of my lathe. Not remembering that the lathe was in reverse, I pushed the switch and in an instant the whole thing had unthreaded and went rolling out the open shop door. Fortunately, nobody was coming in. It took me quite a while to find it. It had rolled clear across the lot and across the street and into some grass. That reenforced my habit of standing out of the line of fire when I flip the switch on my lathe.

I've got a bit of a smokeless tobacco habit, and I replaced the visor on my faceshield... Needless to say the new visor was so clear that I forgot it was there when I made a shot at the trashcan! A very clean visor can be dangerous for me, but fortunately they don't stay that way for long!

I have more than once tried to take a sip of my coffee, forgetting that I had a face shield on.
    'Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!'

Why is it every time I wear the faceshield I have to itch my nose?

A few years ago I was turning an old piece of oak root that was full of voids. A bunch of hornets had gotten inside it and when I provided an opening for them to come out, at about 1000 rpms, some of them went down my shirt. They were long dead but I have a horrible phobia of bees, wasps, hornets, anything that looks like that. So by the time I figured out they were dead I was running around the back yard screaming like a little girl and had half my clothes off. My wife couldn't imagine what was going on. Luckily it was over before she could get the video camera.

I am really liking this thread, several of these things have happened at my lathe. Oh the memories.