Thread: "Green" Cherry pot / lid

"Green" Cherry pot / lid

Hi all, this is the pot I made for the boss with the cherry trees, who donated last years crop to our jam making! I just wanted to photograph it before anything untoward (splitting) happened... I managed to pick up quite a length of branch wood on Thursday, so I thought I'd make him this as a thankyou:-
    cherry pot ron 01.jpgcherry pot ron 02.jpgcherry pot ron 03.jpg

Again, I know there are some sanding marks - hope to get them out tomorrow, oh - the lids not finished, hence no inside picture, and the foot needs something doing to it... Not a perfect piece, like I see a lot of on here, but something I WILL be proud to give to a very kind man. There's no finish on it yet, think I'll leave this one as a natural finish, in case wax would detract from the lovely colours. Someone said cherry is a lovely wood to turn - whoever it was (Dave Keller?) - thanks, it was!

Ok Primus...here we go! Shape for what it will be used for is great, lid looks a little large, has a lip at the joint...base can go or stay, for it's use...stay would be good. I really want to see it finished...make it really pretty!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Interesting! The wood doesn't look like any cherry I've seen. I'm afraid that the lid is unlikely to come off/go back on if this wood moves any... Green wood and boxes don't mix so well, so you may want to hang on to this for a bit before gifting it. Sounds like you had some fun... I hope it survives the drying!

Guess what...? The lid is a very tight fit this morning! I've taken it off, and I'm going to smooth out the inside recess so it's not so obvious...
    So:-
    1, the lip at the joint - that was caused by the wood moving on the lathe over night (lid is round, pot is not) - rectified.
    2, How would you suggest finishing it off Jim, apart from the final sanding / removal of defects? Any suggestions on polish / coating etc?
    3, the trees were 'normal / edible' cherry as far as I know, no name given, and I was surprised to see the colour when I was hollowing the pot out too!

I had wondered about shaping the pot into a vase / goblet style, but have decided to try that with a new piece tonight / tomorrow.

Can't add anything to what's already been said for design critique. I'm a fan of oil finishes for cherry. Really makes the wood glow.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Not sure if you can salvage the lid fit or not... Depends on how much wood you've got left and how much wood you need. Richard Raffan has a nice video that was done a number of yrs ago on lidded boxes, and I'd highly recommend it if you're interested in turning them.

Well, during the day (since my last post) the pot has changed shape a little - more than the wall thickness anyway, so no chance of turning it to fit the lid, which also had very little on the outside of the tenon... wall at the top of the pot is only about 2mm, looking at about 3 - 4mm wall thickness all down the inside too, so no chance of reducing the pot length... I'll leave the wood as is, and put either BLO or Tung oil on it - I'll test the lid half and half for comparison. I'll check for lidded boxes on youtube.

I've checked the lid / pot fit again tonight - and it's moved a touch more, approximately 3 1/2mm altogether. Hand sanded the pot on the inside and re-checked the outside for raised grain, so decided to rub that over with 1200 grit wet and dry paper. Compared Teak oil and BLO on the lid, waited for it to dry in front of the workshop heater, and decided to go with the BLO. Wiped it on, spread it about, and wiped it off with a clean dry cloth. It's sitting in the shop drying, and, as I didn't want to create dust to settle on it, I've come inside early! Nothing worth watching on the telly, so I'm on here updating the thread...

I've oiled and re-checked the pot, and given it to Ron, the recipient. He was very happy this morning, feeling it all over, and responding by saying "Look - no burrs!" (I'm a picky so-and-so quality inspector...). Going to show his wife tonight, impressed with the wall thickness, and adores the colours in the grain.
    This is what it looked like last night:-

cherry pot ron 04.jpgcherry pot ron 05.jpg

This is the next item from the same branch:-
    Cherry urn 01.jpgcherry urn 02.jpgcherry urn 03.jpgcherry urn 04.jpg
    And this is a fun shot showing the thinnes (thickness?) of the middle... I lost my nerve trying to hollow it all out to the same thickness! It's approx 3/16" where it glows!
    cherry urn 05.jpg

Overall dims: 7 3/8" tall x 3 5/8" diameter. Body is 4 1/2" tall x 3" dia. sanded to 1200 grit, and 5 coats BLO.
    The ring in the top is a detail to remove a gouge (everything safe, no blood), with the option of adding a lid - similar to a "wembley Cup" type?
    I saw the shape appearing after removing the bark, and thought "I wonder if it could sell as a club award item"? That's why the base is tall and fairly parallel sided. I'll post it on Folksy and see if there is any interest.

Ideas and suggestions welcome.