Thread: Now What? Continuation of finsihed torsion box mover w/pics

Now What? Continuation of finsihed torsion box mover w/pics

Some of you seen my post when I made a torsion box assembly table but it was so heavy that I couldn’t set it up myself as I needed one that I could fold up and place near a wall in my garage. I had a lot of you guys with good ideas trying to help me out. I got this idea on the net from workbenchmagazine.com. It is called a panel moving shuttle made to transport sheets like plywood putting them on the table saw or a table. They include plans with dimensions. I modified it to work with my table. It is a neat idea and if you go to the site it even has a video to show you how it works. If I knew how, I would attach the video for you to see. I can now set up, move around and take down the table just by myself. Thanks to all for your ideas. Thanks for looking.
    All the material was ¾” plywood. I also made 2 folding sawhorses specifically for the height of the table. There are 2 cross braces with notches to hold the handles together when I am moving the table around and also for when it is standing temporarily before I place the 2 saw horses under it. The wheels are 6” lawnmower wheels I got from Home Depot.
    Photo 1.
    This is how I will store the table when not it use. I have it folded up and against the side of my garage with the 2 cross braces and a 1” pipe for a temporary leg. Takes up about 8” of space.

Photo 2.
    I fold out the handles and attach the 2 cross braces to make it more stable so I can move it around easily without the handles moving all over.

Photo 3.
    I pull the handles toward me and let it balance on the bottom with the wheels. It will stay in this position by itself without tipping over either way. When I want to move it, I just lift up a little to get it off the floor and onto the wheels.

Photo 4.
    Next I bring the back of the table up to level and use the 1” pipe to hold it in place level temporarily. It doesn’t rock because the 2 handles have flat spots before the corners to keep it steady enough. I took the picture at a bad angle.

Photo 5.
    Now I place the sawhorses underneath both ends.

Photo 6.
    This is how it looks after I fold up the handles, remove the pipe and put the horses exactly where I want them.

If anyone has any questions on the build just let me know.
    Aloha, Rob

torsion1.jpgtorsion2.jpgtortion3.jpgtorsion4.jpgtorsion5.jpgtorsion6.jpg

That is super clever!
    -Brian

That is a great use for a great idea!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Nice job!!
    Now that weight is not an issue with your table go ahead and dress that bad boy up with some hardwood edging. Well done.

very clever adaptation!

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    very clever adaptation!
    +1. Is it tough to roll across the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    +1. Is it tough to roll across the floor?
    No Alan, it is real easy. I can put the table anywhere I want. For sheet goods it must be really good.

Rob

Very nice. Can it be rolled left and right as configured in the first picture, or only when the legs are folded down as in the 2nd and 3rd?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Very nice. Can it be rolled left and right as configured in the first picture, or only when the legs are folded down as in the 2nd and 3rd?
    I didn't ry it but I believe it can if you tilt it just a little to the wheel side.

Rob , your machine are very handy, you can buy a steel version that will support a 55 gallon drum of liquid which load the same way

Blog Entries
    And you thought they were just for sheet goods. Cool idea.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That is absolutely cooooool. I like the solution you settled on.....

Lornie