Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Off Topic: Tempurpedic Beds

We have the Tempurpedic Bella Sonna. We call it the million dollar bed, because it cost us a small fortune 3 1/2 years ago. Awesome investment. *SO* comfortable. Much better for us than any of the other high-end beds.

I'm sure it makes my woodworking better...

Just a sidenote...Tempurpedic mattresses do not have the "rebound" that a spring mattress has, which gives certain physical motions a much different result than you might be used to.....

I was just waiting for the thread to take a sexual turn. I just have one question...why did you keep us waiting so long <g>

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Leigh View Post
    Just a sidenote...Tempurpedic mattresses do not have the "rebound" that a spring mattress has, which gives certain physical motions a much different result than you might be used to.....

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    We've had one for about 9-10 years now, and it has been very good. Searched all around locally, and no one offered more than aout $00 off of retail. Found an e=Bay store in the Chicago area that had deep discounts and free shipping. He also offered a frame that had the head/foot elevation + variable massage built in. I didn't recognize the frame's brand name, so I contacted a friend who is in the businedd and he said the frame I was offered was significantly better that the one offered by Tempurpedic. We got it for just a bit over half of what the retail stores wanted. The ONLY problem I had was that the truck driver wouldn't come up my driveway to drop it off ... I had to use my tractor and a small trailer to bring it up the last 150' or so. It IS HEAVY !!! but my son and I got it in the house and installed with a bit of grunting & sweating.

You should know that ALL mattress stores will negotiate prices. Similar to buying a new car. I went shopping with a friend and all she had to do was mention that she had looked in other stores and the price dropped $500. Don't settle for pillows when you can get cash!

Scott-
    I'll be the contrarian:

I bought one a year ago and am only moderately satisfied. It took me a while to get used to it, and even since then I don't find my nights more restful than on a 'regular' premium matress. There are a handful of people out there like myself who own one but are not huge fans. If I could do it again, I'd buy a quality mattress from one of the Big S's.

If you have bad back and are willing to invest in the experiment, then you can utilize the 90 day trial period to make your decision. However, be advised that you'll likely pay return shipping to the retailer, and you'll be in a less powerful bargaining position for the replacement bed.

I theorize that these beds are better for larger people; for slighter people like myself, I wonder if I should have stuck with a spring mattress.

All this is to say that sleep preferences are highly personal, and you gotta try it to see what's right for your night.

Oh yeah, the memory foam mattresses are not 'cuddle-friendly' which might be a plus or negative for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post

Oh yeah, the memory foam mattresses are not 'cuddle-friendly' which might be a plus or negative for you...

Uh oh.....that could be the deal breaker right there!
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    James,
    We have a similar situation ...wife needs elevation, I don't. I just bite the bullet and sleep elevated. Glad to hear the mattress will take the twist. No signs that the edge of the platform is causing any unusual wear at the twist point? I have been putting off building a new bed because of the elevation issue. Elevating the whole bed will cause wracking issues with a traditional head board/foot board style bed i.e. the 4-5" rise in the head board will tilt it away from the wall and make it look crooked. I'm trying to figure out how to make an internal adjustment using the bed slats to raise one side and keep the other flat. Just haven't figured it out yet.
    Ted:
    We got a new bed at the same time, actually forced the new mattress as we went from a Cal-King to Eastern King. New bed is a platform with slats and under the bed storage drawers and attached headboard with storage so raising the whole bed was not an option (what we had done with the previous metal frame).

Tempurpedic recommended against slats (not enough support) and for a solid platform. What I made was essentially two one-sided torsion boxes out of 1/2" baltic birch that sit on the framework where the slats were intended to go. I used a quarter inch roundover bit on the touching center edges of the two box to reduce the stress on the mattress and sanded everything very smooth and finished with several coats of a water based lacquer to prevent snagging of the mattress. I made the two boxes the same height in the middle so my head is 2" higher than my wife, but my feet are 2" lower, so the twist in the mattress is gradual along the entire length rather than all at one end (if our feet were equal and my head 4" higher). I can send you photos of the boxes if you want.

I like it my wife hates it. When buying mattresses you need to remember that the mattress companies often give salesman a direct commission so you have to take their advice with a grain of salt. Dave

We weren't prepared to buy another new mattress (okay our current one isn't that new, but we paid almost $2500 for it five or six years ago, so to me it seemed like it should still be new <g>). We bought one of the king-size, memory foam toppers from Sam's Club just to try it out. We've been very pleased with it. It's given all new life to the mattress and box springs that were quickly becoming untenable. That would be a cheap way to try that type of mattress. I'd say if you don't like the topper, then you wouldn't like the actual memory foam mattress. The thing came with a fitted sheet with very deep pockets to secure it in place. Our existing mattress was a pillow-top on top and bottom (so it could be flipped) and already took deep pocket fitted sheets that were a pain to find, it was nice that the supplied sheet worked well.

Blog Entries
    A few comments:

1) A new Tempurpedic mattress has a smell to it as the foam finishes off gassing. This can be limited by mattress covers (not sheets, an all-around cover) or fancier models that have extra fabric (pillow tops, etc.)
    2) Pillow tops get mashed flat after a few months (even with mattress rotation) and then you've got a big depression in the middle of your bed. I'd recommend getting the plain mattress and buy an add-on pillow top that you can replace as needed.
    3) Most brands offer memory foam, latex, or mixed (foam and latex) mattresses so don't feel locked into a brand.
    4) Never buy a mattress anywhere close to MSRP (HUGE margins on these things)

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post
    ... I made the two boxes the same height in the middle so my head is 2" higher than my wife, but my feet are 2" lower, so the twist in the mattress is gradual along the entire length rather than all at one end (if our feet were equal and my head 4" higher). I can send you photos of the boxes if you want.
    James,
    Thanks very much for the info. I can picture what you did and I like the way you split the difference in the middle. Two inches isn't a bad twist. I never would have thought of doing that. Thanks!!

We have the SleepNumber and my next bed will be a Tempurpedic or equivalent.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

About 10 years ago, we purchased the Tempurpedic mattress. It was the original model, and before the cooling ducts, etc. My wife enjoyed it, but I could never get comfortable. We keep the house around 65 at night, and this caused the bed to be hard as nails. When I called Tempurpedic, they told me it was due to insufficient body heat, so they told me to leave off the pajamas. Still no luck, then they told me to lose everything else. Still no luck. They tried to tell me that my body was't putting off hardly any heat. Ended up sending it back (free 90 day trial including return shipping at the time).

Eventually got a latex mattress, and it is wonderful. Very similar in feel to Tempurpedic. Latex is also number one selling mattress in Europe, and has been for quite a while.

Good luck with your decision. I would absolutely do an in home trial, or ensure I could return if needed. Some stores allow you to, some do not. Everyone is different, and it is a lot of money to take a risk with no option of return.

Last year while shopping we saw the Sealy version noted in the above post. My wife and I both thought it was incredible confortable!

Joe

We bought the Serta version 4 years ago. The Tempurpedic was too far out of our price range. Absolutely love it. No more morning back ache. No issues with it being too hot. Its great not feeling the other getting in/out of bed as others have said. No cuddle issues either. We had an expensive pillow-top before that. The pillow-top part was squished flat within a year.
    Last edited by Paul Saffold; 01-24-2012 at 9:30 AM. Reason: corrected the manufacturer's name