Thread: Table saw blade sharpener recommendation

Table saw blade sharpener recommendation

I have 2 Freud Fusion blades that need sharpening. I am on the west coast. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Tim Null

Puget Sound Saw in Tacoma, WA
    Superior Saw in Tacoma, WA
    Universal Saw in Tacoma, WA
    Eastside Saw in Bellevue, WA
    Central Saw Works in Spokane, WA
    Oregon Carbide Saw, Portland, OR
    Snooks Saw Service in Salem, OR
    Roseburg Saw & Tool in Winchester, OR
    Murphy's Saw Shop in Redmond, OR
    Acme Saw & Supply Stockton, CA
    P.R. Bushby in Ukiah, CA
    Walton's Saw Works in San Rafael, CA

There are a few. We have done business with all these folks for years. All have good equipment, a high skill level, good customer service and are very ethical.

Tom Walz
    Carbide Processors
    Last edited by Tom Walz; 01-23-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Thanks Tom,

Are they all about equal? I also see Dynamic mentioned a lot, but they are in NY. Are these guys as good?

You could send them to Freud.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin View Post
    You could send them to Freud.
    AFAIK Freud does not resharpen tooling, they do have "authorized" shops though.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

www.dailysawservice.com from San Diego to Santa Barbara California they pick up and deliver through local tool dealers.

My recommendation would be to go local if at all possible. Check with local cabinet shops or the local woodworkers guild. It would be very difficult to get unbiased information about all the saw shops out there. I have a biased opinion about a couple that Tom posted and am trying to keep that bias in check here.

If you decide to ship the blades out, protect them from damage in shipping. The best shipping box would be made of wood with the saw blades separated and fastened to the box. However, some shippers (UPS) charge extra for boxes other than cardboard. Second best would be a cardboard box with a the blades bolted to a board inside. Always separate the carbide teeth, they can break each other if they bump together.

Another thing to consider is the service options offered by the sharpening service. Do you need router bits, shaper knives, straight knives, etc sharpened? Are the blades thoroughly cleaned, checked for damage, leveled and returned in a timely manner?

Good luck in finding the right service for you.

Jerrimy
    I make dirt out of woodworking tools.

Go to Scott Whiting

Scott's Sharpening Service.
    Specializing in sales and service of cutting tools for cabinet and furniture makers.
    5214 W. Luke Ave., Ste. 7.
    Glendale, AZ 85301 ...
    Howie.........

Ship them in a flat rate box from post office. Fasten blades to a piece of 1/4" hard board or ply wood to prevent shifting during transit. Add packing. INSURE them. No matter who you ship them to, they will be there in 2-3 days, Unfortunately return by UPS won't be as fast.

Tom

I gave you a list of some of my west coat customers. He apparently feels that some of them are better than others. Hard to argue with that.

Why not send it to the guy who is on this discussion. Jerrimy’s prices are good and his quality is sensational. Plus I will guarantee the results. Snook’s Saw service in Salem, OR.

Tom Walz
    Carbide Processors
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.