Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Two Snowflakes Alike?

Blog Entries
    Yeppers... chaos theory just says given an infinite number of variables and/or infinite number of values chosen at random, the chances of two items being identical are increasingly small. It doesn't say never, just that the chances approach zero.

Crystallized ice does not have an infinite number of parameters, and the values for those parameters are somewhat finite. It can only grow in temps below 32F and some lower limit (don't know what it is, but this is Earth, so well above absolute zero ), nucleation site needs to be within a reasonable size limit, finite number of atoms per crystal size, yadda yadda yadda.

It's highly likely that a crystal has been created identical to another at some point within the timespan of the Earth... but finding it is like a needle in a haystack. Which brings us to a whole other search...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Yeppers... chaos theory just says given an infinite number of variables and/or infinite number of values chosen at random, the chances of two items being identical are increasingly small. It doesn't say never, just that the chances approach zero.

Crystallized ice does not have an infinite number of parameters, and the values for those parameters are somewhat finite. It can only grow in temps below 32F and some lower limit (don't know what it is, but this is Earth, so well above absolute zero ), nucleation site needs to be within a reasonable size limit, finite number of atoms per crystal size, yadda yadda yadda.

It's highly likely that a crystal has been created identical to another at some point within the timespan of the Earth... but finding it is like a needle in a haystack. Which brings us to a whole other search...
    Allow me to try to translate what Dan said: If an infinite number of rednecks riding in the back of an infinite number of pick up trucks fire their shotguns at an infinite number of highway signs, it is likely they will eventually spell out the works of Shakespeare in Braille.

While I agree with your theory in principle, the fact is we will never even come close to having an infinite number of snowflakes fall to the earth in it's history.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    Allow me to try to translate what Dan said: If an infinite number of rednecks riding in the back of an infinite number of pick up trucks fire their shotguns at an infinite number of highway signs, it is likely they will eventually spell out the works of Shakespeare in Braille.
    You left out "drunk" Jim. Trust me, I know an infinite number of rednecks and we've never been able to do this sober.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    You left out "drunk" Jim. Trust me, I know an infinite number of rednecks and we've never been able to do this sober.
    You mean infinite number of beers.

Wil

Actually, for snowflake sized crystals I believe the chances are still vanishingly small even given the entire age of the Universe as a backdrop. It's not zero, but only just.

Blog Entries
    Crystallized ice does not have an infinite number of parameters, and the values for those parameters are somewhat finite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    While I agree with your theory in principle, the fact is we will never even come close to having an infinite number of snowflakes fall to the earth in it's history.
    As I said...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Depends on your definition of snowflake and alike
    http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/alike/alike.htm
    Even with just a few parameters, it is highly UN-likely that two snowflakes have ever been - or ever will be - exactly the same. However, examining all of them will never happen (think of all the ones we've missed!), but that doesn't make the assertion any less true.

Really big numbers are beyond common sense, our intuition fails us at such scales. And infinities (yes, there's more than one) are even further "out there", they are pure mathematical concepts that don't really exist.
    I've measured three times, cut twice, and it's STILL too short...