Thread: Capillary action with sand paper on steel or aluminum?

Capillary action with sand paper on steel or aluminum?

Does capillary action work well for wet sand paper when wet and on a smooth steel and or aluminum plate - for holding down paper while honing? Or is it just mainly work able on granite?

I guess I am wondering how smooth does the surface need to be in order for capillary action to work...

I use paper on granite and the paper always curls up at the edges when wet, so I purchased some self-adhesive paper from Rockler.
    The paper curling gets very annoying.
    Sorry I do not have a specific anser to your question.

Pete

Thanks much,

does that adhesive leave much sticky film on your granite?

Sometimes the capillary action worked for me, sometimes it led to the paper curling like Peter said. Sometimes I curl the paper away from the abrasive, sort of the same way you curl ribbon for christmas presents. I like to think it helped, but I could be crazy. Sometimes I used to just use a spring clamp to hold the paper at the far end, since I pretty much only apply pressure on the pull stroke to keep from accidently slicing up the paper.

I used to pre-soak my wet/dry paper before using it to wet sand finish coats on guitars - I wonder if that would help?

When I was sharpening mostly on sandpaper, I used spray adhesive to hold my sheets down. The best stuff I had was from the craft store for holding down stencils when doing country-style stenciling on your walls. Was firm enough to keep things in place, but removed a little easier and cleaner than when using Super 77. Either way, any adhesive left on the granite, I sprayed it with "Goo Gone" brand cleaner/adhesive remover, then let it soak for a little while, then scraped it off with a plastic scraper. Then a little soapy water to clean the surface.