Thread: Upgrading computers with Windows 7

Upgrading computers with Windows 7

This last year was a pretty good year and my computers were ancient and giving me trouble.
    I decided it was time to set up a new system and network. Here's what I got.

I got 4 desktop HP 6005 and Lenovo Notebook T420i all run Windows 7 32 bit

I know there have been issues with Windows and the Epilogs at times so if anyone could share
    their experiences with 7 that would be great!

Business is doing well and I decided the best way to improve was to go with new computers and
    network the whole system. This will increase efficiency dramatically and pay for itself in less than 6
    months. I figure.

My vinyl cutter and pigment printer are new so their shouldn't be an issue there. The GX7000 is a few
    years old, but still a recent model so I hope it will be fine. I recently installed an NAS drive to be my main
    file storage. There are 3 of us working so I figured this was the best, that way we would all have access and
    update to a single file storage. Plus it makes it easier to back up the system

I am excited about this upgrade, but nervous also as this is a pretty big undertaking for someone with limited
    IT skills. Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I'm no computer expert but I bought a computer with Win7 64 bit. Have had no issues at all with my Helix. I did have to get my computer guy to hook the laser to my network but it only took him about 5 minutes. I tried following the Epilog instructions but couldn't get it to work. But I have had it running now for about 2 years with no problems.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

I had a lot of trouble with the 64-bit driver but the 32-bit one works perfectly on my Mini. You should not have any problems.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Quote Originally Posted by John Noell View Post
    I had a lot of trouble with the 64-bit driver but the 32-bit one works perfectly on my Mini. You should not have any problems.
    I'm surprised Epilog hasn't updated the 64bit driver yet, maybe when Window 8 comes out
    -
    Zing 24 - 40 watts
    Corel X3/X5/X6
    Autocad 2016

I run both windows 7 32 and 64 bit. The 32 bit driver seems to be more mature and thus more stable. My main workstation has 12GB of ram and thus is a 64 but version of windows 7. The driver does work 99.9% of the time. I have had a couple times where it has gotten hosed and I had to reboot my machine to get it to function properly but those situations are rare.

The install of the 64bit driver is not as refined as that of the 32 bit.

All in all I am happy with the current state of both drivers and windows 7.

FYI Windows 7 is awsome.

I may be showing my ignorance here but can the 32 bit epilog drivers be used on a Windows 7 64 bit Operating System successfully?

John
    Epilog Legend 24TT
    3 Wood Lathes (mini, midi and 42" Grizzly)
    7x12 Metal Lathe
    Screwdrivers, Hatchet and one precisely calibrated 10 lb Sledge Hammer

Quote Originally Posted by John Edgerton View Post
    I may be showing my ignorance here but can the 32 bit epilog drivers be used on a Windows 7 64 bit Operating System successfully?

John
    In simple no.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Martin it seems that the issue the Epilog driver has is with the 64 bit driver and large/huge or complicated files, I have win 7 64 bit all works great until the large files and then lock up I have ordered the 32 bit win7 from the manufacture and will down grade when I get it and this should solve the issues. You have 32 bit and will most likely never see any issues. What the issue is Corel is a 32 bit program trying to run as a 64 bit unit does ok 99.6% of the time until it is crunch time .
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Matheny View Post
    Martin it seems that the issue the Epilog driver has is with the 64 bit driver and large/huge or complicated files, I have win 7 64 bit all works great until the large files and then lock up I have ordered the 32 bit win7 from the manufacture and will down grade when I get it and this should solve the issues. You have 32 bit and will most likely never see any issues. What the issue is Corel is a 32 bit program trying to run as a 64 bit unit does ok 99.6% of the time until it is crunch time .
    Maybe Corel X6 will be 64bit, or better yet... [Dreaming] Mac driver from epilog, and Corel X6 for Mac. [/Dreaming]
    -
    Zing 24 - 40 watts
    Corel X3/X5/X6
    Autocad 2016