Thread: No 46 - Firewood Cherry Bowl No2

No 46 - Firewood Cherry Bowl No2

This wood was given to me by a friend of mine. He gave me about 8-10 logs ranging from 8" to 20". The wood has been dead and standing for several years and just recently cut down for firewood. It is already fairly dry with only minor checking. It is the from the same batch as my No 44 bowl. It doesn't have any of the darker(greyish) wood that No 44 had but I really like it. It is kind of a more traditional bowl shape...kind of a popcorn bowl shape.

Stats:
    Material = Cherry
    Diameter = 7.5"
    Height = 3.0"
    Finish = 3 coats of satin WOP

IMG_3797.jpgIMG_3798.JPGIMG_3799.JPGIMG_3800.JPGIMG_3801.JPGIMG_3796.jpg

C&C appreciated.

"The best things in life are not things."

Just right for a good size hand reaching for peanuts! Lovely piece of Cherry with a fine form. I really like the little raised foot too.

James,
    That is a very nice bowl in Cherry. The color is very even and the form and finish are great. Well Done.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Great job Jim. That cherry can be a stinker for showing scratches and things. Not one to be seen in those really close pictures. I can't believe the ants didn't get it being dead that long. If it would have been on the ground it would have a million holes in it. Now I am getting hungry for some popcorn and it's only lunch time.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bolen View Post
    Just right for a good size hand reaching for peanuts! Lovely piece of Cherry with a fine form. I really like the little raised foot too.
    Thanks Bill, This is one of few turnings I have done that came out pretty much as I planned it. I could almost taste the popcorn as soon as I finished it. Popcorn mixed with a little WOP flavoring of course but still...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Glass View Post
    James,
    That is a very nice bowl in Cherry. The color is very even and the form and finish are great. Well Done.
    Thanks Ken, always appreciate encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    Great job Jim. That cherry can be a stinker for showing scratches and things. Not one to be seen in those really close pictures. I can't believe the ants didn't get it being dead that long. If it would have been on the ground it would have a million holes in it. Now I am getting hungry for some popcorn and it's only lunch time.
    Thanks Bob, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the internal wood of the logs myself. There was about an inch or so of really punky(rotted) wood in an even outside layer and it did have quite a few critter tracks through it but once you get past that it is in great shape.

"The best things in life are not things."

Jimmy,
    I never saw a cherry bowl I didn't like and this one is certainly no exception. Great shape and good finish.
    faust

Good looking bowl James! You can never go wrong with Cherry!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!