Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who has a CBN wheel on a baldor 8" grinder model 8100W?

who has a CBN wheel on a baldor 8" grinder model 8100W?

Hi all

I want to buy a baldor 8" grinder model 8100W and a CBN wheel.

I want to make sure they will fit before buying and having it shipped.

Anyone has this setup?

thanks

Martin

i would think d-way tools could tell you pretty quick.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Bob, I talked to Dave at D-way. He sold some wheels to baldor owners but can't recall the model number.

Must have too much grinding dust in his head. I thought that would have been an easy one for them.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Martin,

I was able to find a photo of the mounted CBN wheels on my Baldor grinder. Hope this helps you.CBN WHEELS1.jpg

Harvey, Get some dirt on that grinder. It is sinfully pristine.

faust

thanks everyone, getting closer to nirvana

Martin

I have them on my Baldor grinders. I have an older one, maybe 6 to 7 years old, and a brand new one. They fit fine. I did have one problem, they fit fine on my old one, but would not fit on my new one, even though the original wheels that came with the grinders would interchange. I ended up just touching up the shaft with some emery cloth, and they fit fine. I was not able to totally remove the wheel housing. The inside piece does hold some bearing and/or spring things, and a seal, so I left it on. You do need the 3/4 inch bushings. Also, when mounting them, I used the washers that are on the Baldor for the part up against the motor. It fits onto a cotter pin that is pressed into the shaft. The only way I could see to remove the pin would to have ground it off, and I didn't want to do that. Besides, it makes a large washer surface to fit against the wheel, and I used the washer Dave sent to go against the outside. There are several threads showing through the nut when it is tight. You don't need the wheel housings with this wheel. Unlike the wheels that come with the grinder (instructions say to stand out of the way for a bit the first time you turn them on), the D Way wheels will never blow up. Collecting steel dust might become a problem. A magnet in a plastic bag would help.

Dave now has a heavier set of wheels just for the Baldor grinders. The no name 3/4 hp grinders might not be able to handle the weight. I just got mine. I don't notice any difference in how they cut, but there is less ringing/harmonic sound from the wheels.

If you are planning on using a Wolverine set up, you may have to modify the bottom because the dust portals on the back angle down so far. I heard of one turner who set the grinder up on a board at a tipped angle.

robo hippy
    Last edited by Reed Gray; 01-25-2012 at 9:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I have them on my Baldor grinders. I have an older one, maybe 6 to 7 years old, and a brand new one. They fit fine. I did have one problem, they fit fine on my old one, but would not fit on my new one, even though the original wheels that came with the grinders would interchange. I ended up just touching up the shaft with some emery cloth, and they fit fine. I was not able to totally remove the wheel housing. The inside piece does hold some bearing and/or spring things, and a seal, so I left it on. You do need the 3/4 inch bushings. Also, when mounting them, I used the washers that are on the Baldor for the part up against the motor. It fits onto a cotter pin that is pressed into the shaft. The only way I could see to remove the pin would to have ground it off, and I didn't want to do that. Besides, it makes a large washer surface to fit against the wheel, and I used the washer Dave sent to go against the outside. There are several threads showing through the nut when it is tight. You don't need the wheel housings with this wheel. Unlike the wheels that come with the grinder (instructions say to stand out of the way for a bit the first time you turn them on), the D Way wheels will never blow up. Collecting steel dust might become a problem. A magnet in a plastic bag would help.

Dave now has a heavier set of wheels just for the Baldor grinders. The no name 3/4 hp grinders might not be able to handle the weight. I just got mine. I don't notice any difference in how they cut, but there is less ringing/harmonic sound from the wheels.

If you are planning on using a Wolverine set up, you may have to modify the bottom because the dust portals on the back angle down so far. I heard of one turner who set the grinder up on a board at a tipped angle.

robo hippy

When I got my 8100w, I found that the Wolverine Jig did not fit under the wheel guards because of the dust ports; I called Oneway. I was told to loosen the four through bolts (those going through the motor housing) which hold the wheel guards onto either side of the motor housing. With the bolts loose, I was able to slowly and alternately turn each wheel guard so that the dust ports were level with the mounting surface.

Hello,

I just purchased a gently used Baldor 8100W and the CBN wheels from D-Way. I want to take the guards off similar to the picture that was posted. It looks like I need to replace the inner guards on both sides with some sort of plate to keep the "innards" from the grinder from coming out or being exposed. Is this correct and if so, does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? Do I need to have a plate made at a local machine shop?

Instead of placing a spacer under the grinder, it looks like I need to place some boards under the Wolverine base on both sides to get the suggested height to the center of the grinder shaft that Oneway recommends. Is this correct?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

You don't have to remove the wheel guards, and can actually keep both of them on as the wheels will fit inside. I would guess the only reason to get a machine shop to make some thing special would be that you might be able to get rid of the dust port on the bottom. You might also want to get a machined bushing made to space out the wheel away from the motor housing, and to cover the cotter pin on the motor shaft. Stacked washers from the big box stores don't work because they are very sloppy. I did get some washers made, 5/8 thick, 1 1/2 diameter, and 3/4 inch plus a hair for the motor shaft. I cut a slot to fit over the cotter pin with a jig saw. Fitting the Wolverine jig under it is problematic. Not sure how that is done. I just use platforms.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bucker View Post
    Hello,

I just purchased a gently used Baldor 8100W and the CBN wheels from D-Way. I want to take the guards off similar to the picture that was posted. It looks like I need to replace the inner guards on both sides with some sort of plate to keep the "innards" from the grinder from coming out or being exposed. Is this correct and if so, does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? Do I need to have a plate made at a local machine shop?

Instead of placing a spacer under the grinder, it looks like I need to place some boards under the Wolverine base on both sides to get the suggested height to the center of the grinder shaft that Oneway recommends. Is this correct?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
    I have a board about 1 3/8" under the Oneway bases. I use the Baldor (8100W) with the guards and CBN wheels. Had to put 3 thick washers on the inside to space the wheels out to fit in the guards, and rotate them also. But mine wanted to be wacked with a mallet to move. The Oneway platforms fit just perfect without raising the grinder.
    Steve Worcester

TURNINGWOOD

Now I remember who put the Wolverine under their Baldor..... Steve, could you post a picture? I couldn't get my wheel guards to rotate, unless it was 1/4 turn. I have my grinding platforms up on 2 pieces of 3/4 inch baltic birch plywood to get them to center height.

robo hippy

You can't take the guards off, unless you have something else machined to keep the washers and bearings intact.
    But, you can put 2-3 thick washers on the insides of the wheels to space the out and keep the guards on. They don't get in the way. You may have to loosen up the 4 bolts on the inside and rotate the guards to get your jig hardware underneath though.
    Steve Worcester

TURNINGWOOD