Thread: DNA for Large chunks of Burl

DNA for Large chunks of Burl

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the DNA technique. What I read mostly is that peoople have roughed out their bowls or whatever before the DNA soak. Has anyone tried soaking a large blank before you turn it.

I have a 9"X9X24" piece of Maple burl that I put into a DNA bath for several weeks. When I took it out it still weighed quite a bit. I wrapped it in brown paper and it has been sitting for another week. I didn't think to weigh the thing before the soak so I can't see how much weight it has lost.

Thoughts?

~Todd

Hi Todd, that is a huge block. Ive never soaked one that big, but close... I think several weeks would be plenty, it is not uncommon to weigh more when you pull them out. On the drying time.... The last large block I soaked was 6x6x12.. I soaked it for 3 weeks and let it sit on the bench for about another 3 weeks and it was 10-12% in various spots which I consider dry. This was Black Ash Burl, and maybe a little more dense than the Maple. But,,, it will always be quicker to rough your project and then soak, this should cut your time in less than half..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Show them how, and you too, will learn
    Sole proprietor, Up North Burls
    Secretary, Rainy River Area Woodworkers
    Journeyman Steamfitter, Local 589

Todd, I think the problem you'll face is that the center of the block will still be green because the Dna wouldn't have been able to soak in to the center. With the typical rough outs, the center is gone and we have a consistent thickness between 1/2" to even 2" for those large bowls.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I wouldn't trust it to be dry. Unless your planning to turn a single piece from that block... I'd break it down and rough out the forms you're after... I think your results will be more consistent drying rough outs rather than whole blocks. If you want to test the effectiveness, let it dry for a few weeks then cut that block into two 9x9x12's, and stick the moisture meter dead center into the cut surface... I'd be shocked if it was dry, but I'm interested to hear what you find!

Cory/Scott/David,

Thanks for the inputs. I will let it dry for a couple more weeks and cut a piece off and measure the center. Then I will report back the results.

Thanks again,

Todd