Thread: Drilling for Euro Hinges on a bench press.

Drilling for Euro Hinges on a bench press.

Ok here is the problem.
    I have a bench top drill press and use it to drill the hole to receive Euro style hinges.
    The press does a good job of drilling the holes however the attached iron work shelf on the press is pretty
    small and it is difficult to hold the door on the shelf during drilling.
    The longer the door the harder it is to keep it level on the press shelf.
    How do you guys deal with this?
    Do you bolt or clamp a bigger piece of wood to the press shelf?

Theo

Do you bolt or clamp a bigger piece of wood to the press shelf?
    Yep - I made an table for the DP with Ttrack and a fence. It's bolted to the drill press's table.

There's all kinds of ways to make one. I'm sure other's will post pictures and/or links to the ones they made.

I have a "table", which is a piece of melamine, about 4 1/2" foot long and 14" wide. On the top, I have a piece of wood (1/x2) screwed along the back edge as to create a fence. Along this fence I have created a rabbet so saw dust doesn't interfere with keep stock against the fence.

At the front edge of my "table", underneath, I have another piece of scrap, similar to my fence, that aids in supporting the table and stiffening it up.

I can clamp this to my round DP table, or, screw it down from under the metal DP table, through the machined slots.

Harbor Freight has a halfway decent table with t-tracks and a fence for about $35 bucks too. Not a bad deal for occasional use.
    Robbie

Yep, you heard it you need a table. Anything from just a piece of scrap up to a Veritas or Woodpecker table. Just a piece of MDF or ply is fine, you can mount another piece of scrap as a fence with the correct offset and just strike a centerline and drill.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Take apiece of angle iron (I use bed rails as they are free at the dump) about four feet long. Drill a couple of holes in each end for screws. Attach angle (with clamps) to the drill press table, so vertical leg of the angle is set to be your fence. Horizontal leg should face to the rear of the drill press. Get a couple pieces of plywood (I use either 5/8. or 3/4) that are as long as the distance from the table to the end of the angle. Attach to bottom side of angle using screws through previously drilled holes.