Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home Depot - not accepting HF coupons

Angry Home Depot - not accepting HF coupons

I went to HD today to buy a porter cable biscuit jointer and attempted to use my 20% hf coupon and they wouldn't accept it . I asked for a manager and she said they won't take them since HF only sells HF tools and not porter cable, delta etc. IT has to be apple for apple for them to accept the coupon. After much arguing they took my coupon, but, said they won't accept them anymore.

Blog Entries
    Look online at their competitor coupon agreement... if it makes no such mention about the other store stocking identical brands/items, threaten to turn them in for false advertising. Most stores get away with refusing to match pricing if the lower-priced item comes from a non B&M-store (e.g., Amazon), but sometimes even then you can get certain stores to bend to your will with enough coaxing. But to deny it for the reason given doesn't hold water, IMO...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

My wife is always in possession of 1/3 off coupons from Kohl's. Should HD accept those as well?

Its always been at the local store's discretion. I've had good luck getting them to take it. Others 20 miles away have never gotten them to take one. Last time I looked the price match policy actually doesn't say anything about coupons but does say that it has to be an identical item from a local store. Of course they get around that very often by selling exclusive items. Sometimes just some obscure suffix difference--model 1234567b instead of 1234567a.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Look online at their competitor coupon agreement...
    where did you see the coupon agreement. I can't find it. Maybe it has changed????????
    This is what I found.

TRUST OUR 10% PRICE GUARANTEE

*If you find a current lower price on an identical, in-stock item from any local retailer, we will match the price and beat it by 10%. Excludes special orders, bid pricing, volume discounts, open-box merchandise, labor and installation, sales tax, rebate and free offers, typographical errors and online purchases.

I purchased a miter saw last Nov. and the manager on duty accepted the 20% off coupon. A friend last week purchased a saw and they would not accept but did give him 10% off. Same store.

I would have to side with the store on this. If I ran a store no way would I accept a 20% off discount coupon on an item Harbor Freight did not sell. It's nice if I ask and they do decide to accept, but nothing to get bent out of shape over. At the end of the day it's their store to run as they wish.
    Harbor Freight has even started to put restrictions on their own 20% coupon. They would not accept it when I purchased a jack last week.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 01-27-2012 at 1:27 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Okay, with that verbiage I'd side with the store...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Taking a step back here... explain why you'd expect them to take a harbor freight coupon for a dissimilar item?

Seems like an unreasonable expectation.

Don't think it was about an item, it was about matching coupons from other stores. The HF was 20% off the most expensive item in your purchase. Most coupons are tied to a particular item, so I wouldn't be surprised if they never had any intention of honoring unspecific coupons...

I looked up the actual policy, on their site, too, and have to agree.

They may MAKE exceptions, from time to time, ... which is risky for them, but ... if they want to default to The Actual Policy, I think they're in the clear on this one.
    He's no fun. He fell right over !

When did they start taking them??? Did you pay full price (before the coupon) for the biscuit jointer, because they are closing them out for between $100-150? It is no longer on their website.

Blog Entries
    Wow! I would not expect to go to a BMW dealer that offered to match any other BMW dealers price and have them match the price I was quoted on a Yugo.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm don't think anyone should feel disapointed if their HF coupon doesn't work at a Big Box Store.

When HD honors it they are humoring the customer and trying to make a bid deal about it so they don't do it again.

It's sort of like Nordstrom's return policy that is more or less about the honor system... You can return anything for cash back value as long as you have a receipt. I once returned a 2 year old pair of pants that I hardly wore and they gave me cash back for the full value.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Wow! I would not expect to go to a BMW dealer that offered to match any other BMW dealers price and have them match the price I was quoted on a Yugo.
    Come on Larry! Nothing ventured, nothing gained! Beemer definitely wants to sell vehicles - don't sell them short on "creative" financing.

I agree w/ Chris as well. There is a famous example about 25 years ago where Nordstrom accepted the return of 4, USED, snow tires in exchange for merchandise they actually did sell! When a retailer makes this choice, it's purely a gift - the recipient of which was the OP here from HD.

As our friend Derek from Aussie might say, "Good on ya, mate!"
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

I've been to both local stores; it's like choosing which dumpster will provide dinner.

I'll gladly shop at any local alternative that's within 15% of the BORG or the Chinese container store.
    Buying from either REDUCES your choice, in the longterm.

I wouldn't expect HD or Lowes to accept a HF coupon.
    This week, the local HD wouldn't accept my Sons Vet card. ???
    We'll go to Lowes from now on.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night