Thread: Sears Craftsman 10 inch band saw What Blades can I use

Sears Craftsman 10 inch band saw What Blades can I use

I have an older sears model 113.244400 10 in. Band Saw that calls for 1/4 or 3/8 wide X 72 5/8 In. long blades.That 72 5/8 inch length seems to be an odd size when I look in catalogs I see 72 or 73 1/2 lengths and am wondering if any one has been able to use one a bit shorter or longer other than the sears brand? Also could I use a 1/2 inch wide blade in it the manual calls for either 1/4 or 3/8 wide.TIA for any advise.

John, Suffolk Machinery will make any length blade you want, and they are a good quality blade. You may or may not be able to use a shorter/longer blade, it depends on how much adjustment you have in the saw. Just a gut feeling but I would stick with the 3/8” blade.

Suffolk Machinery - Timber Wolf Bandsaw Blades
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

John, I don't know if you have an industrial supplier in your area or not, but if you do, give them a call. These people can usually get you a better blade at a cheaper price than the
    junk blades that sears sells. I buy mine from WT Tool here locally, they get Morse brand
    blades any length, tooth count, width or anything else that I need within a couple(2) or (3) days for a very little cost( usually $20.00 or less if I remember correctly).

Blog Entries
    Just for comfort, my 10" Rockwell Delta specs 71-3/4" blades but I run 72" blades no problem. Run your wheel adjust (blade tension) thruough the range and check the wheel height at the lowest and highest. That will tell you the amount a variation you can tolerate.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I suggest either and industrial supplier local or mail order what welds to spec. They will likely be cheaper and probably better than what you buy pre welded. I have had good luck ordering from Spectrum Supply. A lot of people like Timberwold blades from Suffolk but I and a good many others have had weld issues, you can search and make up your mind.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I would use a 1/4" blade for general use. 3/8" tops. You will have tensioning probs with wider blades.
    Just my opinion.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Woodcraftbands.com has good prices and good welds to any size you want. Their 1/4" 6 TPI bimetal blade would probably be a good choice for most use of that saw. Bimetal blades last significantly longer than black carbon steel blades, and the prices are very competitive. I think the company is just one guy: while he's always responded quickly for me, apparently some have caught him at a bad time and had to wait for a response.