View Poll Results: Do you get the local paper?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • I never got the local paper

27 19.42%
  • I used to get the local paper but dropped it

51 36.69%
  • I get the local paper but will likely drop it in the next year

8 5.76%
  • They'll bury me with my local paper

53 38.13%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you still get a local paper?

For most of my life, the daily paper was an indispensable part of my day. My local daily - one of the oldest in the USA, FWIW - was, for many years, and for a small town paper, pretty good. Then the son of the publisher took over from Dad, and the editorial slant changed for the worse. I put up with that for some time, but then the internet began making inroads into the news content, and the reading became even less interesting. Delivery reliability became spotty - as often as not, the paper would not be in my box when I left for work, so my lunch time routine was bereft. The final blow was a screwup on my subscription - I'd had enough. Let it lapse and haven't really been tempted to reup.

Being a dial-up orphan without TV and not a particular fan of either NPR or Fox radio, I am now blissfully IGGERANT!

I haven't subscribed to a local paper in over ten years.

A favorite part of my day used to be recieving the San Francisco Chronicle (my local rag) in the morning and spending up to an hour reading it; but around the late 1990's, the content changed from in-depth reporting of both local and national news to a format identicle to "USA Today" -- a format in which it had short articles with no substance and most of the content was off the AP wire (similar to the news format on the internet).

So I have completely abandoned all my local papers for the Economist, the Wall Street Journal and the Financial Times (for the European view).

I subscribe to the weekend edition of The Toronto Star and at work The Globe and Mail.

I do enjoy reading the paper much more than on line content................Rod.

I read two local papers, the Virginia Gazette and the Daily Press. The Gazette comes twice a week and the DP comes Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We get the DP strictly for the Sunday paper and the coupons. I read the Gazette for it's good coverage of local news. They are both reasonably priced but have been getting thinner and thinner. I suspect they will try to transition to digital or start advertising questionable products.

The newspaper has two costs: news collection, and printing+distribution. Printing the paper, and running around in trucks delivering individual copies, is a wildly inefficient way of spreading news around. Electronic distribution means there's zero printing cost and nearly zero distribution cost. So physical newspapers are turning into luxury items.

Me, I'm happy to pay for the news collection part (and I do -- subscribing to the New York Times online). But paying for the luxury of actual newsprint is beyond me.

Reading the local paper is such an ingrained habit with me I would be lost without it. And I have a terrific paper boy who gets my paper on the porch by 4am every morning so I can read it before I got to work. Actually, I don't know for sure if it's delivered by a boy or girl anymore. I pay and tip online and never see the delivery, but the footprints in the snow are small.

Weekends only.

Yes, gotta keep up with the small town gossip.

We just pick up the Sunday edition at the grocery store for the ads and TV Guide. The Washington Post actually prints a less complete TV guide in the store editions to "encourage" people to subscribe.

What passes for a newspaper in Southern Coastal Massachusetts is embarrassing.
    I get the Boston Globe, on occasion. If it appears on Kindle, I will subscribe.

We're charged an additional 50 cent "distance" surcharge for the 40 mile delivery.
    Not enough around here can be bothered to read, so their circulation is dwindling.

We both read the paper front-to-back, every day.
    I will not read the paper on-line.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    When I lived in Seattle, I read the paper every day on my commute. One of the best parts of my day. I took the local paper when I moved to California. I had to drive to work rather than using mass transit, so the paper didn't really serve me as well. This was compounded by the lesser quality of the local paper here. As technology improved, I became increasingly concerned with the environment burden of paper products (use once, then recycle). Eight or so years ago, I went to getting my paper "fix" online. i still miss a good paper sometimes.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    The day I noticed the rather large pile of newspapers still with the rubber band around them I called and canceled my subscription. That was about 5 years ago. Haven't missed it for about 6 years! I get most of my news from TV and internet. I really don't miss the big pile of news paper at all.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

How would I know if I died if I didn't take the local paper?
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Eyre View Post
    How would I know if I died if I didn't take the local paper?
    death noticed usual take two or three days before the paper print them