Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gramercy Kit Bowsaw from Pacific Yew and Sycamore

Gramercy Kit Bowsaw from Pacific Yew and Sycamore

Well, I just finished up building my Gramercy bowsaw kit. A while back I posted to a thread asking for wood suggestions and as a result another creeker (Dave Beauchesne) was nice enough to gift me piece of Pacific Yew. THANKS DAVE! Dave told me Yew was the traditional wood of English longbows so we figured if it was good enough for a long bow, it was a good enough for a bow saw. It's a cool wood - technically its a softwood and in someways it works very similarly to SYP, but its much harder and the density is more consistent. The species does have lots of little pin knots though so those could be a little difficult to work at times and tear out some, but overall it a nice wood to work by hand.

I also got to break in my Gramercy saw handle rasp on this piece, and it really is a wonderful rasp. Even though its bread and butter will be closed saw handles, it is very handy for fairing any sort round over. It just kinda hugs the curve.

Anyway, Archie England turned the handles for me out a of a piece of sycamore I had on hand and I made the toggle from that same piece. Archie and I did this a a joint project, I made the frame for his bowsaw, and he made the handles for mine. Worked out quite well, and we are both quite pleased with the results. I think I posted some pics from when I built his frame previously, but I'll tell him to post some finished pics of his (which is white oak with pecan handles) in this thread.

Finish is a couple coats of Watco Danish Oil, followed by amber shellac, and then wax.

Quick note about cutting the curves of both frames (w/o a bow saw). For Archie's, I roughed out the shaped with a coping saw before going at it with rasps - this worked well enough, but there was a fair bit of cleanup, fairing, and squaring to do, before even going about the final shaping. For the rough shaping on mine, I used the method of cutting saw kerfs to different depths (to match the curves) and then knocking out the waste with a chisel before rasping. I'm not sure if the later method was any faster, but it felt much more accurate, and was generally easier to do. If you plan to make one of these and don't already have a bowsaw or bandsaw, this method (kerf/chisel) is definitely the way to go.

Anyway here are the pics. Thanks for looking!
    IMG_0608.jpg IMG_0606.jpg IMG_0609.jpg

Wow! that is very cool! I had no idea yew was so neat looking. Kind of resembles boxwood a bit.
    great job!
    Pat
    Last edited by Pat Zabrocki; 01-28-2012 at 9:26 PM.

Looks great, Chris!

You've got talent, my friend!!!!

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Chris:

Looks great - you did Yew I sent you proud. Looks like you had enough wood in what I sent.

Yew is a special wood, to be sure. Like you said, a softwood, but tough as nails when you need it to be.

Well done - you have got me thinking I should try the same - - - - - -

Dave Beauchesne

Nice job!!

Chris, you've built a saw you should be proud on. It's very nicely executed, I like the attention to detail that went into the shaping. Beautiful and very eye pleasing. The wood choice is perfect, it couldn't be better. It's one of the most tenacious woods if not the very most tenacious one. So it will stand the stresses of a bow saw with ease.

Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I'm thrilled to have a proper turning saw. It should make my upcoming backsaw build a lot easier. The coping saw is a bit of a pain for roughing out saw handles.

Pat - I had no idea what Yew looked either. If Dave hadn't given it to me, I still wouldn't. The amber shellac really complimented it well. The Yew was more of a mix of whites, yellows, and ambers with just oil on it, but the shellac really gave it a nice even amber tone. I assume the whole thing would have darkened and ambered in time anyway, but again I'm really happy with the coat of amber shellac.

Archie - Thanks my friend. Great work on the turning! In particular I love the nipple (haha, I said nipple) at the tip of the knob on the far end (non handle end).

Dave - Glad I was able to put your generous donation to good use. Yep, had more then enough Yew. My saw, only used one of the two pieces you sent and I still have a chunk left over from that piece if I ever need to replace a part of the frame. I gave the whole 2nd piece to Archie, since he wants to make himself a second bowsaw with a slightly larger blade.

Chris V - Thanks Dude!

Klaus - Thanks you for the compliments, I was hoping for your input. I tried really hard to get a nice fair roundover on the lower part of the arms, but still have a fairly crisp visible flats. I also was careful to make sure that the flats widen evenly towards the tops of the arms where the amount of roundover decreases. Also, I was careful to keep the transitions in the shaping on the stretcher as crisp as I could. Glad you approve of the use of Yew - hopefully this saw will last a lifetime!

Kinda makes a guy wanna go out and get some yew to try a build. Nice job.

Outstanding result! Its always fun to work together with a friend and end up with a good result.

Is the yew from a commercial source or was it a DIY dry/mill job?

Thanks Garth - yeah it was a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    Is the yew from a commercial source or was it a DIY dry/mill job?
    Dave Beauchesne, who gave it to me, got it from a friend of his, then shipped it all the way from Canada to down here in NOLA, so no, its not from a commercial source. My understanding you can't even get pieces of yew in lengths longer then 15"-20", so I'm assuming that's why its not available commercially. Dave B can tell us better though, most of what I know about yew I learned from him.

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Dave Beauchesne, who gave it to me, got it from a friend of his, then shipped it all the way from Canada to down here in NOLA, so no, its not from a commercial source. My understanding you can't even get pieces of yew in lengths longer then 15"-20", so I'm assuming that's why its not available commercially. Dave B can tell us better though, most of what I know about yew I learned from him.[/QUOTE]

Chris/ Zach:

You can get Yew in longer lengths, it is generally narrow in width. It looks much like Western Red Cedar / Cypress limb and bark wise, but a 24'' tree at the butt is a real monster. The wood is generally ridden with inclusions, defects, pin knots, splits etc., so to get an 8 foot piece of 2 x anything that doesn't have a defect of some sort is near impossible.

As for commercial sources, it is regarded as a non - commercial species, in fact, when my family lived on Haida Gwaii ( the Queen Charlotte Islands near the tip of the Alaska Panhandle ) 15 years ago, I was told that there was a bunch of Yew '' 3 K up Branch 10 on the side of the road ' so up I went with my little GMC 4x4 and my wife. There were quite a few whole logs, the largest being about 14 inches at the butt, and I got a couple pickup truck loads ( BLASPHEMY I KNOW NOW ) but it was a good thing I can sharpen a chain saw quickly - it is tough stuff. That was before I got into wood working and the primary source of heat in our house was wood - BTW - GREAT firewood - burns like coal - small flames and the coals burn forever while throwing plenty of heat.

There are very few places I know of that yew is available, none commercially. I have a small cache, and pounce on it when I can get it - the stuff I gifted Chris was payment for a favor with a friend who is a wood wheeler / dealer of sorts. Also, Yew tends to move a bit, even when kiln dried, so it is great for things like bows, canoe paddles, bow saws and fish bonkers, using it on fine furniture or jewelry boxes requires the user to be very strategic in its application.

A couple of interesting notes - there are a couple fellows who make long bows on Haida Gwaii from Yew, in fact, now deceased John Bulbrook made his own bows that were about six feet in length and he took many deer with them. Another time I was talking to a friend while we lived up there and we were standing in front of a large one car garage ( more like a 1-1/2 car garage ) on the property he was renting. I asked if he kept anything in the garage, to which he explained that his landlord had it filled with wood. I asked to see it, and it was 6/4, stickered yew planks as long as the garage, high as the ceiling, nothing less than 8 inches wide. His landlord was a woods foreman for MacMillan Bloedel at the time, and as such had the boys pick out all the creamy Yew they would normally pile and burn. He got it milled and then stickered it in the garage. I don't know how many thousand board feet were there, but it was the best of the best as far as
    Yew goes.

If you Google Yew, it shows the range to be quite extensive, from California to Alaska, and well into the interior, but again, it never gets real large in any point in its range and is usually gnarly. Its bark contains natural cancer fighting compounds that have since been synthesized; as late as 1995, there was a market for the green bark that was stripped off the trees soon after they were cut down; I knew a fellow on Haida Gwaii that had a crew that collected the bark commercially.

I took the opportunity to get the wood to Chris as he was doing nice work on the bow saws, and I see it was put to good use. Chris, if you EVER break one of the Yew pieces on your saw in normal use, I will send you a replacement free! It will not let you down.

Sorry for the rambling; passing on info is what this site is all about.

Dave B
    Last edited by Dave Beauchesne; 01-30-2012 at 8:01 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks for the great info Dave. Learning stuff like that is why I keep coming back here. Again, it was really cool to be able to do this build out of this wood - just a great satisfying and learning filled experience all around.

Blog Entries
    Very nice work Chris, congrats on the whole double project!

You might check out Woodjoy tools sometime when you want a small project to play with. He makes some very cool two part toggles for bowsaws. One piece slides through a wider piece in the string. The wider piece in the string keeps the center of the string from bunching up as bad. The winding peg slides up & down through the piece in the string allowing one to tighten the string without having to dodge the center arm, making it easier to wind the string tight.

I think the rule is Archie's does not exist until we see the pictures though!

Lovely looking saw, Chris. Really nice.