Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little off the turning track

A little off the turning track

He wanted a pen for graduation, that is the turning part of this. Yesterday we watched our son become a Marine. He has not been on the best terms with us for 8 months. Yesterday I saw my son first, after his last order to dismiss, and got a hug that paled from my wife after month in Haiti. My daughter and her fiancee saw him next. He saw my wife last and his feet came off the ground for a hug...he's 5' 9" she's 5' 2". This was the first time we have seen him in 8 months and there was not a dry eye on the parade ground; I think his platoon (1st Battalion, Delta Company, Platoon 1063) all knew what was up. His DI, who I knew from Haiti, said his family...not aunt and cousin he had spent his last 4 months before enlistment with, but mom, dad and his sis were the most important things on his mind during basic. I haven't seen Gunny Saraguso for 2 years...he was touched that our son was tough, a good Marine, followed dad, and wanted to see his family after his last order "Yes Sir...Hoo Wrah!!. ( I kept hearing "Good morning Drill Sargent...Woo Wrah, all day) Yesterday, I was invited to spend a day and re-visit CVN 72 again...hard to pass up, but our son is home for 10 days so I declined politely on behalf of the family, and sent him on his way...this is what life is about. We are more than excited to have PFC John M Burr, USMC, home and wanting to see mom and dad. This is a bit fragmented, but John called a bit ago and wants to have dinner with "the family". Seems like Christmas, so "God bless us, God bless us everyone" He wants some pens for his DI, Gunny and some guys in the platoon. Knowing what the pay is for a PFC, these are on me, and they could not go to better people. Sorry and thanks for the ramble!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

What a great story and thank you for sharing it with us. I'm glad you got to write that out for all of us. Tell your son "thank you" from me for beginning his service to our country as a proud marine. And thank you for being a proud dad!

Great story - great ending!! Jim, you should be proud, and I am sure you are. We had one in the Marines, one in the Army and one in the Air Force - they all became men rather quickly! Amazing what they can accomplish is just a few short weeks.

Glad you are reunited in spirit, and get to spend some time with him.

Jim congratulations to your son and you, it's good to hear of a military family keep the faith. US AIR FORCE retired.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Cool story Jim. Congrats!

Jim me and my oldest son Sol had been butting heads for years. He was to much like me the wife said. Well after he joined the service all them times butting heads faded away. They teach respect to our young men and woman, as you well know.We started getting along better than we ever had, till that day 6 years ago.Just wish that wreck never happened, but that ain't what the lord had in mind for him. So glad for you and your family as that's what we as parents want for our childern, just to grow up to be the kids we see in them from the beginning. Take care my friend and i know you are one proud dad.
    Last edited by Steve bellinger; 01-28-2012 at 8:36 PM.

Jim - that is excellent news! I am extremely happy for you and your family! Please thank your son from all of us for serving our country! Thanks for sharing!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Jim, thank your son for me too,

good ramble, enjoy

Great story, thanks for sharing!! Glad to hear you've been able to reconnect! Thank you and your son for your service!

Great story! If all goes well, my oldest son will become the 4th generation Marine in our family this summer!

Jim, thank your son for me and also congratulations to you and your son, it's always good to hear of family reunions especially if there has been a little tension around. I have one son, a really good boy but he shied away from military service and went the college route, kind of wish he had joined for at least a couple years but he has done alright. US Navy retired.

"The best things in life are not things."

Neat story, Jim! Congrats on getting in a little QT with the kiddo!

I'm glad things are working out for your son and your family, Jim. I know that military service changed my perspective of life. Thank your son for his service to our country for me!

Well it that's not heart warming then I don't know what else is. Congrats all around.
    Tony

"Soldier On"