Thread: Help me w a bandsaw decision

Question Help me w a bandsaw decision

Ok I'm just about ready to replace my 9" Delta with a real bandsaw.

A 14" is what I'm looking at it comes down to these. Delta 28-276 or the Griz G0555. I don't do much if any resawing so I don't think the 3/4hp on the Delta would be a huge drawback for me. My local Farm & Fleet has the 28-276 going on sale at the end of this month for $359.99. With taxes that comes to about $385.00. The Griz is $483 delivered.

If I wanted the riser block option the Delta would be $483 and the Griz would be $549.00.

Granted since I have never resawn anything more than 4" and I only have a 6" jointer I don't even know if the riser blocks should come into play. So what do you guys think about the Delta $385.00 vs the Griz $483. Is the Griz worth the extra $100.00???

Hi Greg, You have to compare features between the two but the Griz would be worth the $100 it to me. It has more H.P. and better guides and quick release tension lever. You could add riser blocks later if you want to either one. But that's just me. Ask yourself what you'll be doing with the BS in the future and maybe that will help. You usually never regret buying a little more machine but a lesser one can drive you nuts sometimes. Good luck. Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

More info.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Scott
    Ok I'm just about ready to replace my 9" Delta with a real bandsaw.

A 14" is what I'm looking at it comes down to these. Delta 28-276 or the Griz G0555. I don't do much if any resawing so I don't think the 3/4hp on the Delta would be a huge drawback for me. My local Farm & Fleet has the 28-276 going on sale at the end of this month for $359.99. With taxes that comes to about $385.00. The Griz is $483 delivered.

If I wanted the riser block option the Delta would be $483 and the Griz would be $549.00.

Granted since I have never resawn anything more than 4" and I only have a 6" jointer I don't even know if the riser blocks should come into play. So what do you guys think about the Delta $385.00 vs the Griz $483. Is the Griz worth the extra $100.00???

O.K. I just went to Amazon.com and they have the Delta for $409 plus you get off another $25 there. So that's $384 including shipping and it does have the tension lever also. This may be all the saw you need but you can check out the Grizzly saw on Amazon too. Alan in Md.

Alan,
    That's interesting, with Farm & Fleets price being $359.99 starting 3/31 I wonder if I could get them to honor the price match +10%. If so the saw would be $385 at Farm & Fleet including taxes so that would make it $346 at Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Scott
    Alan,
    That's interesting, with Farm & Fleets price being $359.99 starting 3/31 I wonder if I could get them to honor the price match +10%. If so the saw would be $385 at Farm & Fleet including taxes so that would make it $346 at Amazon.
    I would call them and find out.

Two things to consider:

You can get the Grizzly G0555 for $415 through an ebay buy it now price. They even posted another one on ebay for me when I missed one. The riser is also discounted $5 with the buy it now price.

If you only want the 3/4 horse, look into the Grizzly G1019. It's going for $285 right now, and the riser block is $25 (if I recall correctly). It's their older 3/4 horse 14" saw, but lots of people have used them and are happy with them.

Sounds like a tough choice. Sounds like you're going to have to make a point by point comparison between the two saws. But regardless which one you get, I'd strongly advise getting the riser block anyways.

I bought my saw and even though I didn't plan on doing resaws, I went ahead and got a riser block. Now one of my neighbors is cutting down several trees and is offering me the logs. I'm very glad I bought that riser kit now. 3 free oak trees and one free cherry!!! And I even have a resaw blade hanging ready on the wall I've had for 3 years and bought for the three years ago price. YES, I'm glad I bought that riser kit.

Something to think about,

Dave
    Dave in Flowery Branch, GA

Cant tell you what machine to go with, but if you even think you might want the riser block later, do it now. Otherwise you'll ended up with money invested in blades that will be worthless to you after you upgrade.
    Use the fence Luke

Don't let the width of your jointer decide what the resaw capability on your bandsaw should be. If you have the ability to resaw 12", what's to say you wouldn't take a nice 12" piece of 4/4 curly cherry and resaw it into 1/8" thick veneer that you use on some bookmatched doors?

The relative difference in price between the "works for now" and "works for longer" isn't that much. Even if it means saving for a little longer, I'd get a saw with 12" resaw and the power/blade tensioning capacity to handle the extra height.

Rob