Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: veritas plane set screws question

veritas plane set screws question

I'm a noob when it comes to hand tools and got a veritas plane because I want to build a shooting board. The set screws to keep the plane blade from shifting, am I supposed to lock tite it once I get it where I like it?

I just finished trying to set one up and am super impressed with the shavings this thing is producing and I haven't even sharpened it yet.

Gonna practice sharpening some junk plane blades before attempting to sharpen the one that came with the plane.

thanks

Hi Steven

No, do not use loctite. The setscrews may be used for a few things, one of which is to create a template for the blade so that you may return it to the exact position after removal for honing. Another is to use the screws for fine lateral adjustment of the blade.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Forget the set screws

I find the set screws a pain. You will need to adjust them each time you replace the blade. I don't use them at all anymore. I do luv the bevel up planes. Particularly the smoothing plane.

Jim

thanks! ...

I have a few LV planes and I like the set screws. Once I set them for a blade I rarely need to touch them. I get the blade where I want it then tighten the set screws until they are just a cat's whisker from touching the blade. Sorry I don't know the imperial or metric equivalent to that. There is enough clearance to get the blade in and out but that's all. It makes lateral adjustments much more predictable.

Paul

+1 on what Paul said. two years ago when I got my plane I thought they where a good idea and I still do.
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

+1 again. I like the set screws. I might go to within 3/4 of a cat's whisker though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dorman View Post
    +1 on what Paul said. two years ago when I got my plane I thought they where a good idea and I still do.
    Michael Ray Smith

+3 on what Paul, Mark, and Michael stated. The set screws help when you change blades (angles).
    War Eagle!

Love LV and LN planes. don't like the screws. Harry

For a beginner to hand planes those set screws are a godsend. Can't tell you how much time I wasted on refurbished stanleys. Enough that I put them in a drawer and upgraded my powertools

I really like the set screws on LV planes. You don't clamp the blade with them, tighten them so them contact the blade, then back off just a hair. They make it easy to take out the blade for honing, then put it back exactly where it was. Apparently, some folks don't like them though...
    I've measured three times, cut twice, and it's STILL too short...

I consider these set screws such an advance in design that I include them on all the planes I build.

For example ...

Being able to fine tune a plane setting, and then return the plane to the exact setting, is such a time saver and frustration killer. If you are not using the set screws, then you are missing out Big Time.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Funny, I've never missed them on any wooden plane I own. It's such an easy trick to plane the plane on the bench, let the blade slide down to meet the wood and then hit the wedge; or, for the Japanese planes, tap the blade until it hits the wood.

Hi Jack

Firstly, I think that we are talking across purposes - the set screws deal with lateral adjustment, and not blade extension.

Secondly, if you want the best way of setting a wooden smoother (or any adjusterless plane), try using a glass block.

Article: http://inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTec...tingBlock.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

No, not at cross purposes at all. If the blade edge is parallel to the sole/bench/glass, it is laterally adjusted properly, a two-for. I tried the glass bit, found it unnecessary, just an added step.