Thread: Joinery Float, Push or Pull?

Joinery Float, Push or Pull?

I am going to purchase a joinery float (my first) and need a little help. The primary use will be to trim tenons, and possibly mortise sides. Looking at the models on the LN website they show both push and pull models. I don't want to invest in both types right now.

Any thoughts on why I should choose one style over the other? Also any reason to choose the offset Face float over the straight Cheek model?

The push model, based on the number of comments here that mention it, seems to be the most popular.

I have a push version, and really like the way it works -- very easy to control. I would suggest the offset handle: it lets you keep the blade flat on the work without scraping your knuckles.
    James

"Uke is always right."
    (Attributed to Ueshiba Morihei)

Push v pull is a personal preference thing, IMO. All my other, like rasps and handsaws, are push, so I guess I'm a "push" guy, not a pull. Works fine.

The offset handle on the face float gives your fingers/knuckles clearance. While this might not be a big deal on smaller tenons, if you use it on longer ones, or for some oddity in the field of a board, it will make a big difference. Plus - it lets you stand over the target, and your hand moves as it would with a plane. I generally find that I use my right hand on the handle for the forward push, and a couple fingers on my left had to steady the blade and provide just a slight bit of downward pressure - you don't need much, just level contact.

The cheek float is designed primarily for the faces inside the mortise, and having the handle in-line with the blade gives you good balance + control.

I got one of each. If you are going to start with just one, get the face float - it can work inside the mortises, but not the ideal tool for that.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I was asking a similar question in regards to plane making and the most informative answer I got specified push for some and pull for others. Bet you could search and find the thread...