Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crotch Walnut Hollow Form and a decision

Crotch Walnut Hollow Form and a decision

Fellow Turners,
    Here is a Crotch Walnut Hollow Form I just finished (or maybe not yet finished.) It is 7" across and 6 " tall. thinned to 1/4". This is out of a huge 10"x10'x36" piece of Walnut Crotch Wood a friend gave me. It was incredibly heavy. It is Beall buffed with Trip and Ren Wax. The Finial is Holly and is 5-1/2" tall. It has some nice grain without being discolored as Holly can get sometimes. I have yet to put any finish on the Finial as I am wondering if I should Ebonize it or leave it white. SWMBO says leave it white and just a clear gloss finish. What do you peeps think? Oh, yeah, comments are always welcome too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Interesting shape...meaning I like it! Leave it white.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I really like the form. Beautiful piece of walnut and I think the white is a great contrast!

I vote for white..very nice finial, and the neck transition is interesting. beautiful sanding/finishing
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Ken, nice form on this piece. Better stick with SWMO and go with the white finial. Did you turn this green to finish or did you roughout, dry and return? I have some large walnut crotch to work up and I'm not sure how to go with it.

TomC

Blog Entries
    I say leave it white too. For some reason it makes me ponder the piece more. It almost seems like a drop of water with a mountain range seen through it. Well done sir.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Love the color contrast - the darkness of the walnut and the white finial. Very nice design and great fit on the top to HF. Really makes you want to pick it up and hold it.

Tom,
    This is roughed, dried for several weeks and then finish turned. I anchor sealed the whole big crotch piece and this piece was almost dripping with moisture after I roughed it out.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Very nice piece, Ken!! I vote for white, as well, but I would prefer a matte finish. For my tastes, the white matte would contrast nicely with the gloss walnut - which, by the way, is a beautiful piece of wood!

10. White will show so much better than an ebonized...........
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Neat stuff! Between black and white... I'd leave it off! I think I like it best sans finial. I really like the main form.

Mulino, Oregon, US (thirty miles South of Portland)
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to be different and say go for the black finial. The white, I think, distracts too much from the piece.
    Beautiful piece by the way.
    There's nothing like a smooth running day in the shop.........at least at my house.

I like the white but I think it's a little overpowering in size. I think a smaller white finial would be perfect. Black would be kind of lost against the walnut.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

I'd leave it white! Nicely done!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

That's a beautiful hunk of walnut with a great shape, I'd stay with white, but you can't hurt this either way.