Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening trouble ~ help

Sharpening trouble ~ help

Hello I have the NL standard block plane. After sharpening the edge of the blade comes out convex so the out side edges are higher that the middle of the blade edge. Shouldn't it be the opposite? The blade only catches the wood towards the out sides of the blade.
    I have leveled all 4 of my water stones and I am using the Veritas honing guide,.
    IS there any thing I am doing wrong? Any thing I should check for? This has been frustrating.
    Any feed back will be great.
    michael

2. Are you pressing the blade harder in the middle? The LN blades are pretty thick, and shouldn't flex that much, but that could impact it enough to be giving you trouble. Any chance we could get a short video of you sharpening? That could help assess issues with your technique.

If you are using the honing guide and not allowing the iron to drape off the edge, the only answer is either that you're planing cupped wood, or you have stones that have a crown, even after you've flattened them.

Presumably you're planing down the edge of something that you know is flat, so that the cupped wood thing isn't a factor?

Are you sure your test piece of wood isn't cupped? It's remarkably difficult to make a concave blade, IMHO. I don't even know that I could reliably do it if I wanted to. Your stones could still be crowned side to side. Those are the two things I can think of off the top of my head.

If you put a sharpie mark on the bevel and then go back to your stones, you can tell immediately where the stone is working. If it comes off evenly, then everything is flat and you have good technique.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 01-29-2012 at 9:42 PM.

It's hard to say what you did wrong. For a block plane, I'd like just a straight edge across.

I'd fix it by jointing the edge - position it 80-85* vertical on the 1000 stone (bevel down) and move it back/forth to get a straight edge. (start out with light pressure or you may have corners dig into the stone). Check it with a thick rule or against a known flat surface such as the sole of the plane.

Once the edge is straight across, look at the edge under reflecting light..you should see light reflecting off it, more so at the corners than the middle.

Put it back in the honing guide and put a bit more pressure on the left corner, do 10 strokes. Do the same to the right corner. Take a look at the reflecting light off the edge again. Repeat until you see a UNIFORM reflection across the entire edge.

Last, proceed with your honing process normally and use even pressure. Feel for the wire edge. It should be consistent across the entire edge. The biggest mistake I used to make in sharpening is not constantly checking/looking for feedback and altering my technique as required. It is especially very true when I was using a honing guide.
    Last edited by Tri Hoang; 01-29-2012 at 9:55 PM.

OK Thanks for responding so fast. When I put a steel square of the edge of the blade I see light in the middle but it makes contact on the sides. Perhaps Ill try leaning on the left and the right next time I sharpen on my water stone. I use 8000,1200,6000, then a white stone with a nagura.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hartery View Post
    OK Thanks for responding so fast. When I put a steel square of the edge of the blade I see light in the middle but it makes contact on the sides. Perhaps Ill try leaning on the left and the right next time I sharpen on my water stone. I use 8000,1200,6000, then a white stone with a nagura.
    If you have a crowned stone, that will just make it worse. Put that straight edge on the stone and see what you get. Removing the crown from a stone is difficult but it's very easy to think you've removed a crown because you can hit every part of the stone (removing your pencil marks, for example) while actually making a crown worse.

Blog Entries
    Michael,

Your profile doesn't show your location.

If you are in my area, send me a PM and maybe we can get together to solve this.

If not, you may live close to another member who will be happy to spend some time one to one on this problem.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Use your straight edge to check your stones, they must be crowned.

We definitely don't hear from people who have inadvertently turned their iron into a large beader too often.

I have the same problem and I have it on all of my plane irons. Hock, LV, LN and Stanley irons. I started getting convex cutting edges when I used diamond stones.
    I changed to ceramic water stones and a diamond flattening plate. Still does it.
    I look at my first pass over each stone to make sure that the center of the cutting edge is not hitting first. They appear to be hitting all the way across.
    A straight edge shows that the center of the blade is down about .0015 or maybe .002".
    The blades are flat across the back and straight across the cutting edge when I start. When finished the blades have a convex cutting edge.
    I have checked my stones. all are flat. I even tried sand paper on my granite plate. Same thing.

Are you making a hollow bevel before honing, or is there any other steps in your process before honing on your stones?

MIchael,
    Even if it's a block plane a very slight crown on the leading edge works well, especially when you're starting out. As John said, it's pretty hard to get a hollow on a plane iron. I don't remember ever having done it. But take Tri's advice: joint the leading edge before you do anything else. Go just far enough to remove all the abnormalities from curve to nicks. Then sharpen down until the blunt flat leading edge disappears and becomes a bevel. If you leave yourself an almost microscopic flat on the front you can take it off with a small secondary bevel and all the geometry should come out with parallel-sided flats.
    Are you sure the back isn't curved? If not, I'd guess there's something amiss with your technique. Send one of the experts a video and they can probably tell if that's the case. I'll volunteer if you want.

When I started I had the same problem, and after much angst I realized my stones weren't flat.

These are the possibilities:

--- Your wood isn't flat. You can test that with a straightedge, or winding sticks.

--- Your sharpening stone isn't flat. You can test that with a straightedge. To be sure, use sandpaper on glass to start with, not waterstones.

--- The back of your plane blade isn't flat. You can test that with a straightedge. The backs of plane blades have to be flattened, even those from Lie-Nielsen, in my experience.

--- The bottom of your plane isn't flat (this shouldn't matter if the back of the plane blade is flat, but still). You can test that with a straightedge.

Those are all the possibilities. You can't make a plane blade concave in the middle while honing, so this is one instance where poor technique doesn't explain the problem.

Please let us know when you find the culprit.
    Last edited by Mark Roderick; 01-30-2012 at 2:52 PM.

I've had this problem once - I was levelling my waterstones on a large sheet of sandpaper on granite, and had used a sort of figure eight motion to level them to use more of the paper. Things seemed flat when I was done - turns out it's easier to rock the stones than you might realize, and put a crown along them. I only flatten my stones front the back now, moving parallel to the long edge. A little out of flat this way might slightly change the bevel angle, but it's much better than ending up with a concave edge.

the other issue I had was my thinner Superstones kind of changed shape ever so slightly going from dry to wet - so I always make sure I get them as wet as I'm going to use them before I flatten.

+1 on stone flattening technique. When a stone is rubbed on an abrasive, the edges of the stone "see" the abrasive first. By the time the middle of the stone sees the abrasive, the abrasive has more slurry on it. As a result, the edges can wear down faster than the rest of the stone.