Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I really need an OSS? (Ridgid)

Add my name to the list of "Now HOW'D I ever live without this thing" users
    He's no fun. He fell right over !

FWIW. if a receipt would help i have those also.
    Attached Images Attached Images

+1 for the "use it all the time" camp!

It really depends on the type of work you do. I make a lot of small and detailed items, so an OSS saves me from going to the bench grinder or setting up a drum on the drill press. I'll also say that it's a must-have for prototyping.

But, if you don't need to round off a lot of corners, sand a bunch of convex & concave curves or remove superglue from your fingertips all the time, then skip it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    Such deals are for other people...I never get that lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Holcomb View Post
    I agree with everyone else on this topic. One of the best purchases I've made. I use it all the time. It's my go to tool after the band saw when making cutting boards of various shapes.
    I agree with Rob and think Glenn has a great idea. Mine needs a dedicated stand. It's a very well made machine and I find it very easy to switch between belt and spindle on the same project. I also like the storage for the belt, spindles, etc. right on the machine.

Glenn, would you please show some pictures of your stand?
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

This is like the pin nailer you mentioned Rich. I don't need it all that often (I'm in the spinning vortex mostly), but when I do, it is great to have. Especially the oscillating belt.
    I use it for some of the things others have mentioned, and for $199 it works perfectly. I haven't regretted it one bit.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock View Post
    I agree with Rob and think Glenn has a great idea. Mine needs a dedicated stand. It's a very well made machine and I find it very easy to switch between belt and spindle on the same project. I also like the storage for the belt, spindles, etc. right on the machine.

Glenn, would you please show some pictures of your stand?
    I am not Glenn but I will show you my stand, it is set up so I can put it under the bench and still stand up when using it.

Wrong thread, oh well...

89705417.8fIdxz33.PB303229.jpg89705420.aqt3c12R.PB303232.jpg
    Last edited by Bill Huber; 01-31-2012 at 8:13 AM.

I guess I'll be that one guy that always has to be different. Mine is a big waste of space. I really don't do much work with curves though so I am sure that factors in. I will say its not as easy to use as I thought it would be either. It sometimes wants to grab and leave ripples on inside curves. I recently used it to clean some small radius's up and it did do a really good job but still would rather have the space and money back if I could do it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I found out that I used mine so much that I sold it and bought a full size OSS and 6x89 OES. ( I still use my biscuit joiner enough that I won't sell it, but I am somewhat of a tool hoarder)
    So true, so very true.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

i like and use mine a lot. Didn't notice anyone commenting on it's great dust collection system, which is important. My Ridgid 6 hp shop vac works extremely well with the sander. The one sanding job that it doesn't excel at is precise perpendicular sanding because the belt on the edge sander isn't quite tight enough. It's easily solved by adding a stand-alone disk sander for that function.

I am another fan of the Rigid sander. I also agree with Don, I use the spindles more then the belt. Changing over is very easy.
    Lori K

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    I guess I'll be that one guy that always has to be different. Mine is a big waste of space. I really don't do much work with curves though so I am sure that factors in. I will say its not as easy to use as I thought it would be either. It sometimes wants to grab and leave ripples on inside curves. I recently used it to clean some small radius's up and it did do a really good job but still would rather have the space and money back if I could do it over.
    Keith, if you don't have a use for it, stick yours in the Swap Meet at a fair price and I'm sure it won't be there for long.

Jerome,

That floor model has been on my CL wish list for a while too. They don't come up very often. I just picked up the Jet a few weeks ago for $450, with all 10 spindles and about 15 spare drums.

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    When did you buy yours for that price?

I stare at that thing everytime I go in HD.....

I guess y'all convinced me!

I have to go to HD today to pick up some supplies so I guess an OSS is going to find it's way into my cart.