Thread: Blast Gates

Blast Gates

From doing a search I found a thread that said that the Clear Vue and maybe the Lee Valley blast gates were made to fit SDR 35 pipe.

Clear Vue's website states that theirs are for PVC pipe with a 6 1/4" ID so I know it will work.

The Lee Valley does not give any specifics, will they work with SDR 35? I am interested in the 4" & 6".

I'm guessing that you have decided not to make your own? Really pretty easy with a saw, a router and a home made jig. Just a thought.
    I had the original CV blast gates and they fit the 2729 pipe great, and the 3034 is the same outside diameter, just not as big on the inside. So they should work fine for that also. I haven't seen the new style, but understand that they are better than the originals. Others have used some of the commercial units with the comment that they had to use a few rounds of electrical tape to make a tight fit. Lee Valley are great people, I'm sure they would send you the measurements if you emailed them. Good luck! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Homemade is super-easy. I've made all mine but one. The design changed from a thru-design to a non-thru design over the years but all work well. The non-through just require less room for operation and the slides are more durable. The one metal one I bought when I was in a hurry has been problematic. The adjusting screw falls out, the gate has sharp edges, and getting it to fit required electrical tap as Jim mentioned. Sure all are easy to fix--but I've spent as much time messing with it as it would take to just make one!

Look at Alan Schaffter's automatic gates. He has a video on youtube. They can be manual but the auto feature spoils you real fast. Dave

Yeah, if you can watch Alan's video without drooling, you're in the wrong hobby.

Link to the youtube video. I searched Alan Schaffter and Alan Schaffter automatic gates and get all kinds of unrelated videos. I want to drool. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Bade View Post
    From doing a search I found a thread that said that the Clear Vue and maybe the Lee Valley blast gates were made to fit SDR 35 pipe.

Clear Vue's website states that theirs are for PVC pipe with a 6 1/4" ID so I know it will work.

The Lee Valley does not give any specifics, will they work with SDR 35? I am interested in the 4" & 6".
    The new style CV gates are top notch and work perfectly with SDR35 and ASTM 2729. No clue on the LV gates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Deckelman View Post
    The new style CV gates are top notch and work perfectly with SDR35 and ASTM 2729. No clue on the LV gates.
    I'll second that.

+3 on the CV gates....

Last edited by Brian Backner; 03-06-2012 at 7:10 AM.

Thanks Brian! I'm drooling! LOL

Alan Schaffter was a great help when I installed my gates. I bought mine from www.kaiminc.com and very happy with the quality. Alan was more than patient and answered all my questions although after about a million of them I'm sure suicide looked like a viable option. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Alan Schaffter was a great help when I installed my gates. I bought mine from www.kaiminc.com and very happy with the quality. Alan was more than patient and answered all my questions although after about a million of them I'm sure suicide looked like a viable option. Dave
    I like those. Did you get them recently? If you don't mind me asking, approximately how much $$ per ea. and what sizes are available?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W. Clark View Post
    I like those. Did you get them recently? If you don't mind me asking, approximately how much $$ per ea. and what sizes are available?
    They are individually made by Wayne Kaim in Lodi WI. Small company but a great guy. I have 5",6", and 7", but you can get bigger or smaller. He uses the better internals but the specifics didn't make it to long term memory. Approx $300-375 depending on size. Though it seems high they are reasonable in comparison to Norfab or others and worth it to me every time I don't have to get around the saw because I forgot them. You don't need them on every gate. In my case they are on gates to both saws that I go back and forth on, planer, jointer, shaper, and bandsaw. I run them off a little Jun aire compressor I found used so I don't need to fire up the big compressor. Alan told me about the sensor switches from CR magnetics- about $23 each and I found some used SMC pneumatic solenoids for about $10 each. Dave