Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rigid Jointer

Rigid Jointer

Anyone have any insight as to how good the Rigid jointers are? I found one on CL for a decent price that is close to me. The table looks a bit rusty in the picture but is most likely surface rust.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Mine works fine for me. Of course I wish I had an 8" but he Ridgid does a good job.

I bought one about 4 or 5 years ago. It is a great machine. I can't stall the cutterhead with a 3/32 deep cut in 6" of oak. The surface quality is A grade with sharp knives, when they start to dull it becomes a B+. I kept the motor wired to 110. The table adjustments are easy to adjust and the depth scale is super easy to read (and accurate). The fence is easy to square to the table. My tables have stayed co-planar even though I moved it with a buddy 3 times (by lifting on the tables) before I put it on a mobile base. I can joint a board 8' long with the help of an out-feed roller stand, the tables are just long enough. Chip collection is great. I will never have to upgrade unless I want a 8" or bigger machine. Buy it and clean the rust up with steel wool and a comercial cleaner.

It seems like it is the one HD had for a while...the 6 1/8" The guy is asking $220. Does that seem like a fair price?jointer.jpgjointer2.jpg

Thanks Bryan. I just uploaded two pictures of it to the thread. Supposedly "like new" according to the post.

$220.00 is a bit on the high side for one w/that much rust.
    I paid $199.00 for mine last year on closeout @ Home Depot.
    Home Depot/Ridgid dropped them last year & they blew them out at some very low prices around the country.
    Unfortunatly, my area wasn't one where they ever got to one of the blow out prices.

Never the less, I was happy to get one new w/the Lifetime Service Agreement for under $200.00.
    I'd offer him $180.00 for it and settle for $200 if he didn't bite & as long as it's in otherwise decent shape.
    If it needs blades, then figure in a set of new ones also - about $50.00.

i had a ridgid for several years. great little machine, if it were an 8 inch, i'd still have it.

Oops - forgot to say how much I like mine.
    Even if the seller won't budge on price - $220.00 is fair.

If the last price to buy a new one was $200, close out or not, that makes the new price in my book $200. That price isn't all that old, so I don't think inflation enters into the mix. Keeping that table from rusting like that only takes spending $5 on what would probably be a lifetime supply of Johnson paste wax and a few minutes every once in a while to wax the table surface. I'd have to wonder how else the jointer has been mistreated. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to assume the lifetime warranty even if that jointer currently has it, so that's no selling feature. I couldn't see offering more than about 50% of the latest new price, $100. If you think the jointer is in pretty good shape and you really want it, maybe negotiate from there.

That rust really bothers me. I live in Birmingham, AL. Outside of moving to southern LA, it just doesn't get much more humid than it is here. My shop is not environmentally controlled and all my stationary tools are old models I've picked up off CL, out of the newspaper, or found by my wife at a local thrift store. I have nothing with that kind of rust on it! To me it looks like it was allowed to get wet and just sit! I'd bet it's spent some time sitting outside at some point.

Thanks for the info guys. I am down in South Louisiana. We get some very humid days and if he has it in a closed in metal building it is very very possible that the humidity caused the rust, even inside of a building. I will contact him today and see if he still has it and if there is a story behind it. What did these sell for new at HD before the blowout price?

This is purely from dim and somewhat faulty memory, but seems like I saw a $349 price tag on one in the store once.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Romero View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I am down in South Louisiana. We get some very humid days and if he has it in a closed in metal building it is very very possible that the humidity caused the rust, even inside of a building. I will contact him today and see if he still has it and if there is a story behind it. What did these sell for new at HD before the blowout price?

$329.00 around here.

Do they make a mobile base for this unit or would I have to fabricate one myself?

no OEM mobile base for the jointer. fabricate yourself or get this:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...dware-Kit.aspx

they go on sale every so often for $50. a double layer of 3/4" plywood makes for a rock solid base. stay away form the HTCs. too flimsy. BTW, my rdgid works well for me. that rust will come off fairly easily with course scotch brite pads and topsaver (if you can find it) or wd40.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Romero View Post
    Do they make a mobile base for this unit or would I have to fabricate one myself?
    Brian,

First, this is a great little jointer. (I had one.) Because of the rust, I would bring $200 dollars cash and offer $175. I say this because it looks like it has been sitting for a while. You may encounter other problems not readily apparent. If the only issue is the pictured rust, $200 is not a bad price, and you will certainly be able to get that back if (when) you decide to upgrade to an 8" jointer.

Concerning the question about a base, I ran a piece of angle iron under each leg, perpendicular to the table. I cut the angle iron about 6" longer than the depth of the legs. The angle iron sticks out 2" in the front and 4" in the back which helps with the added weight at the rear from the fence.

I drilled 2 holes in each piece to line up with the holes on the jointer for the leveling feet (I used the leveling feet to attach the angle iron the the jointer). I also drilled two holes in each about 1" from each end to accept locking casters. I happened to have the casters and iron available.

The Woocraft base in nice - I have one for my bandsaw. However, if you buy that one, be sure to bolt the jointer to the piece of wood you use. When moving, the jointer want to tip backwards sometimes.