Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of door for cyclone closet?

What kind of door for cyclone closet?

I'm getting ready to build a closet around the cyclone to try to quiet things down some. I guess that a prehung steel exterior door with weather stripping would be the best choice, but that gets a bit expensive. On the other end of the scale, a cheap interior hollow core interior door - would this do enough to be worthwhile? Or would just hanging a blanket over the hole be better?

What have you guys that have built cyclone closets used?

Bob

Basic physics says that adding mass to a wall helps it reflect sound. Reflecting sound back into your enclosure means that less escapes. Hanging a blanket in the doorway will have almost no effect. If you don't want to buy an exterior door, you could use your cheap hollow-core door, but then put a layer of sheetrock or two on the inside. The rock provides the mass to reflect the sound. Sound leaks through cracks, so weatherstripping the door would help.

Of course, making the door very resistant to sound won't help very much if the rest of your closet is transparent to sound -- like it has holes in it, or if it is just made of thin plywood.

Hi Bob, You need some way for the air to get out of the closet so I would use a louvered door for this. Or use a solid one and provide another means to relieve the pressure from the blower exhaust. Unless you're set up is different from what I'm thinking.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

I have almost finished building the closet around my cyclone but still have one side (the one with the door) to go. I have built venilation into the walls, so don't need to do so for the door.

My door will be home-made with a 2" rigid foam insulatin interior in a (real) 2"x2" frame (including cross bracing) and covered with a thin (5mm) layer of plywood on both sides.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 03-18-2005 at 9:20 AM.

I used a plain surface, pre-hung insulated steel door for mine. It was not all that expensive at the 'Depot. The interior of the door is foam-filled which provides at least a little bit of dampening. And when you combine it with a good closet design, it's effective. I barely hear my compressor when it's running and the cyclone's noise level is very low. (The real noise comes from the blast gates/hoods at this point!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used solid core doors to the closet and shop entry. They are very effective in sound reduction. I had to order them at a building supply place, but the cost wasn't outrageous. I got the cheapest model. I think mine are luann skin with a chip board core. Very heavy.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Frank, thats a good idea to build my own door from 2" rigid insulation. Does anyone have any idea on how putting 2" rigid insulation in the walls would compare to using 3 1/2" fiber-glass batts in a 2x4 wall for noise control? Or perhaps just make wall panels like Frank's door, make it easy to remove if needed for service but still have a door to empty the chip barrel. Very interesting.......

Bob,

There are two major variables that must be addressed to make a room sound proof. It must be air tight, and the structure must not convey vibration. The best way to make a room sound proof is to build a room within a room where the inner room is physically apart from the outer room. This would take care of the vibration transmission. Add mass by adding extra sheetrock and make it air tight. This is usually not practical. There is a product that you can use to float a sheetrock wall on the existing sheet rock wall. I believe is call a Z channel.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is add mass to the walls, and door (not foam), and make the closet air tight. In my shop I lined the stud faces with rubber, and then double sheet rocked the walls. I believe you can extend the return air filter so that it dumps the filtered air back into the room. By moving the filter away from the sound source you may be able to reduce the sound and get air back into the room. Check with the manufacturer.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Duksta
    Bob,
    Anyway, what I'm trying to say is add mass to the walls, and door (not foam), and make the closet air tight. In my shop I lined the stud faces with rubber, and then double sheet rocked the walls. I believe you can extend the return air filter so that it dumps the filtered air back into the room. By moving the filter away from the sound source you may be able to reduce the sound and get air back into the room.
    Mark
    I guess that this would have been possible but I never thought of it and it is now too late for me. My filter is in the closet, so my closet cannot be air tight.

My whole closet is lined with "soundboard", some really nasty stuff (to cut at least). It works like a champ. I installed a pre-hung hollow core door on the closet and glued a sheet of the soundboard to the inside. Weatherstripping around the edges and the bottom and it works very well.

I did the walls of my DC (and compressor) closet with 2x4 studs, R13 insulation, Drywall on the outside and 1/4" pegboard on the inside with the rough side facing the interior of the room. The air return is ducted between some ceiling joists with a reverse turn/baffle about 36" out from the wall and the actual return back towards the closet....no direct path for sound transmission. The big IR compressor is nearly inaudible when running and the DC makes noise only slightly above "normal" sound levels in the shop. Only when a blast gate is open does the sound level increase and even then, only the hoods on the J/P require me to don hearing protection as they amplify the sound level of the machine for some reason.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cox
    My whole closet is lined with "soundboard", some really nasty stuff (to cut at least). It works like a champ. I installed a pre-hung hollow core door on the closet and glued a sheet of the soundboard to the inside. Weatherstripping around the edges and the bottom and it works very well.
    Steve, what is "soundboard" and where do you get it? I have never heard of it before.

Bob

My air return is actually the space under the door. My closet cuts the sound significantly, but as mentioned by Jim, there's lots of noise once a gate is open. I was planning on sealing the door (like I did my main shop door) and putting in a baffled air return. But, I feel like it's a waste of time given the noise levels when gates are open anyway. If I had my compressor in there it might be a different story.
    The rest of my basement shop is "sound proofed". Drywall and good old fiberglass insulation are excellent and affordable sound dampeners. Staggered stud walls and resilient channel are also affordable ways to isolate vibration. My shop works well using those methods.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I did the walls of my DC (and compressor) closet with 2x4 studs, R13 insulation, Drywall on the outside and 1/4" pegboard on the inside with the rough side facing the interior of the room....
    Jim,

Do you think that the holes in the pegboard are an important part of the sound reduction? Some of the tempered hardboard I have seen at Lowes or Home Depot has a rough side, no holes might be better as indicated by some of the previous comments. There might be so little difference that price could be the deciding factor between the two.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Johnson
    Steve, what is "soundboard" and where do you get it? I have never heard of it before.

Bob
    Bob,

Soundboard is also called Homosote. You'll have to call around to find it. Most drywall and some building specialty suppliers will have it.

Mark