Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safe or un-safe?

I tend to push the limit on anything--cars wives-ect. i want to know where the limit is so i can back off at the right spot. on glue joints/blocks i've not found it yet. i recently turned several wet softwood blanks on 4" glueblocks which weighed easily 100#. i use the tailstock as long as possible. these were mostly vase shapes 12-16" long which were hollowed and finished on the same holding. one was 120# and wet wood. these were all mounted with thick CA and clamped with the tailstock. fresh glue is advisable here for sure. a tenon hold on these would have been a joke i'm afraid. screws in wet soft endgrain will work but i think the glue is safer after removing some of these. when i do remove pieces off glueblocks i knock the smaller ones off with a putty knife/hammer. large ones i turn down small and bump or saw them off. also most of these vase/bowls were mounted on a stout glueblock held on by a standard nova single screw. blows my mind!-------old forester

Thanks for all of the responses, insites, and suggestions. I will try turning this piece as I have it, But will use more glue surface in the future. I will post results when I get to finish.
    Deane
    Last edited by Deane Allinson; 02-01-2012 at 2:25 PM.
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.