Thread: New Workbench

New Workbench

P1050127.jpg
    I'm posting this picture mostly as a "Thank You" to this group for all your help and advice as I embarked on building a nice workbench for the shop. I borrowed the design from several workbenches and made some adaptations on the fly, but it's mostly based on FWW's "Essential Workbench." I did not put in the Lee Valley end vice, mostly due to cost but I'm very happy with the shoulder vice the way it is.

I still need to hand plane it to "dead flat." Right now, it's flat to 1/64" across the width, but I'd like to get it flatter. I'll work it with my #7 plane over time to flatten it out. I also will build the drawer unit that FWW published for the workbench, but I have to build some stuff for the family first.

If anyone wants to know about the process for the 2 1/2 thick maple top or anything else that went into building this, let me know. Thanks to everyone for tips on techniques and processes. This is a great group of experts and your advice is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Thumbs up

Looks great!

Those wagon style tail vices have such clean lines it sure makes it tempting to go with that style. Very nice bench!

Nice work and looks great. Now enjoy it !
    Dick Mahany.

Hi Michael,

That is a great looking work bench. I like the shoulder vice as well. You will get excellent service from your new bench.

Sam

Nice job! Looking good!

Good going Michael. Encouragement for those of us just about to head down that road....

ian

Very nice!!!! There is something very special about building your own bench. Congrats!!!

Very nice job !

I agree: working on my bench is a real pleasure, every time.
    He's no fun. He fell right over !

Very nice work.

Mike,
    Your bench looks super! Congrats on a job well done.

I'm building a similar bench--the FWW Essential with some mods using 4/4 red oak throughout. The base assembly is complete ready for sanding and finish. What front vise did you use? Is it a quick release? I'm going to forego an end vise for the time being, thought I'd start with a couple of the Veritas Wonder Dogs and see how things progress. I'm a limited neander, time will tell if I need a real end vise.

Gary

Mike, nice bench. I love the shoulder vise. I wish I had gone that route when I built mine.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

How are you going to check it for flatness ?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield View Post
    Very nice!!!! There is something very special about building your own bench. Congrats!!!
    Sometime it even defies common sense. I recently cut down my Ikea beech counter top and stacked it in the configuration it will have when I glue up the stack to make the workbench top. I j ust have it sitting on a pair of saw horses and I already love working on it <g>

Great design! I built mine in exactly the same configuration (except lefty). Yours is much nicer though! I used construction lumber and an oak top. I don't cry when I hit it with a chisel, gouge, or other cutter, but there are times when I wish the top was in a little better shape
    -Brian