Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a Name For This

Need a Name For This

I have never named a turning before, but feel this one demands one-- One that will help explain what it is that I am trying to do here. I thought about "Birth", "Emergence", "Surfacing" or somethinglike that, but I don't know the protocol for naming a turning. I know Steve, John, them David boys, Scott and several others have named their turnings, so there must be rules and regulations for doing it. Like with the American Kennel Club you register your dog and you are not allowed to name it the same as someone else's dog. Heaven forbid two turnings with the same name. Maybe I'll just call it "George".

Well, "George" is a piece of Hackberry 9 1/2 inches high with a trunk diameter of 9 1/2 inches. It is hollowed to about 3/8 of an inch. Since it is still "green" I only rough turned it, then sanded it to 180 grit to get the fuzz off. No finish, but I did coat it inside and out with a paste wax to try and slow down the drying and minimize checking and warping. Depending on how it dries, I may put it back on the lathe and put a proper finish on it.

If anyone has a better name than "George" let me know; I'm open to suggestions.

P2010043.JPG
    P2010044.JPG

What do you think??
    Last edited by Bill Bulloch; 02-01-2012 at 8:05 PM.

How about " look what I found inside!"

let it finish drying, depending on how many radical cracks will have a large determination on the name

I like 'George'... It'll make people study it a bit harder trying to figure out why you call it that.

I hope it survives the drying!

"Birth of a Bowl" is the first thing I thought of, even before reading what you wrote. Not sure it fits since it isn't a bowl but a HF. Maybe "Birth of a Turning" is more appropriate, but doesn't that that "catch". How about, "Beauty Within"?
    I drink, therefore I am.

Old Baldy? Hollow in a tree? Pot on a stump?

It should be called "Abbott" cause it is about to become a beauty!

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

"The Reveal"

"Behind The Curtain"

"Well, would ya look at that"

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    I like 'George'... It'll make people study it a bit harder trying to figure out why you call it that.
    Id have to agree with that.
    Your opinions and advice are welcome on anything i post - Thanks

I'm thinking "George Emerges"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    "Birth of a Bowl" is the first thing I thought of, even before reading what you wrote. Not sure it fits since it isn't a bowl but a HF. Maybe "Birth of a Turning" is more appropriate, but doesn't that that "catch". How about, "Beauty Within"?
    Now that is catchy...How about: "Birth of a Vaz" ("Vaz" not "Vase" -- that "a" having an accent mark over it).

[QUOTE=Mike Spanbauer;1864838]

"The Reveal"

"QUOTE]

The Reveal... How about "The Swan". Remember that TV Show "The Swan" where they took the ugly girls, worked them over with the knife and made them beauties.

Mulino, Oregon, US (thirty miles South of Portland)
    Blog Entries
    How about "Genesis"?
    There's nothing like a smooth running day in the shop.........at least at my house.

Hmm. going in a different direction, maybe "Vessel Tree". Or maybe you can chic that up a bit - "Vesseltre" and everyone will want to know what that translates to from French... or Latin..
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 02-02-2012 at 9:18 AM. Reason: typo

How about..... "once upon a tree"

Without a lot of thought into it...

The Origin of Form, The Beginnings of Civilization, Hide & Seek, Introspection, Discovery and for something a little more tongue-in-cheek... Pot Grower.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!