Thread: A WHAT saw?

Question A WHAT saw?

While in the shop tonight, working on a re-hab for a backsaw, found another that MIGHT get a newer handle. A "Powrkraft"? handsaw 005.jpg at least with this one, I won't have to go out and steal another saw's sawnuts.

I think Powerkraft was a Montgomery Wards trade name,or some such catalog. It's been a long time since that name has come up.

It was a Montgomery Wards line. I have one down in the accumulation somewhere.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Worth fixing up? Handle is a bit rough. Seems to be a crosscut type.

At one time, I had an old Powrkraft drill press, 5 speeds, just couldn't keep a motor running on it. Also had an all metal"finishing sander" from them. Not sure where it vibrated off to.

I have a toolbox in the shop that’s full of Powrkraft mechanics tools. I bought them when I was a teenager. Like Sears, they had a lifetime warranty and were decent tools. Of course the warranty isn’t worth much now..
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

At least sharpen it, to find out.

If the plate is straight, and it still has intact teeth...

I could be wrong, but I don't think the PowerKraft line was the highest of quality. I have have one of their Master jack planes that belonged to my grandfather. It's equivalent to the handyman series.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Carmichael View Post
    I could be wrong, but I don't think the PowerKraft line was the highest of quality. I have have one of their Master jack planes that belonged to my grandfather. It's equivalent to the handyman series.
    I think it depends on when it was made/sold.

I have a Stanley 45 that was branded and sold through Monkey Wards as we used to call it.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-03-2012 at 11:56 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)