Thread: Red Mallee commission done and shipped to San Fran.

Red Mallee commission done and shipped to San Fran.

I SURE hope they get there without any damage. All fifteen pieces are Red Mallee. Some thick, some medium, no thin ones, I like to highlight the rough NE. Most are around 10-11" in diameter.

A LOT of red dust around the shop before I was done with these!!!

Finished with AO and then shellac and lacquer. I real pain to finish but I was fairly please with how they came out. Brass plates epoxied into the recesses on the bottoms that denote the person name and award.

Copy (2) of Group 5A.JPGGroups 3A.JPGCopy (3) of Group 1A.JPGCopy (2) of Group 2A.JPGCopy (2) of Group 4A.JPG

All comments welcomed.
    Last edited by Toney Robertson; 02-01-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Definitely got the WOW factor going on there! Such beautiful red and light colors! Some folks are gonna be some kind of pleased!

Looks like a lot of fun... And a decent commission to boot! Congrats on the sales!

very nice, beautiful actually.

I like the idea of the brass insert for the recess. Would love to see the bottoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Studley View Post
    very nice, beautiful actually.

I like the idea of the brass insert for the recess. Would love to see the bottoms.
    Sorry, I did not take any pics of the bottoms. I was actually rushed a little since as soon as I received the plates I had to get them on and shipped out. The pics I took I did not even review before sending them so I am glad they came out decent.

Thanks,

congrats my fingers crossed for their safe arrival
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Toney, those came out beautifully!! I shudder to think about the bare cost of the burls! Having started turning (and abandoning) a piece of Mallee, I don't envy you on the dust situation. While there are few woods more beautiful than the Aussie burls, they just aren't for me because of the difficulty in turning and finishing. Domestics are so much easier IMO.

Good choice on the finish, too - really brought out the color. Hope this results in more commissions for you!

Beautiful work Toney! I am sure they will be appreciated! Sure is some pretty wood!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That is quite a collection of beautiful wood. I have never tried turning any but did buy one recently at a club benefit auction. I think I may be trying your finish when I get around to trying it. They all look stunning!

No Problem, I assumed that maybe the names were already engraved and you didn't want to post them. I'm sure the Red tones and the Brass complement each other beautifully.

Again, Nice work

Well done Toney, but I would like to know your source for such a nice collection of the Aussie burl? I have a red and brown Mallee burl habit, and there is no 12 step program for the addiction, only the high price of supporting the habit!

Very nice! I love Red Mallee.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Very nice work, Toney!

Yowza. Now those are beautiful. Wonderful work Toney.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Blog Entries
    Absolutely extraordinary! Your choice of wood and form are spot on for sure. well done.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.