Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need ideas for Boy Scout woodworking merit badge project

Need ideas for Boy Scout woodworking merit badge project

I've been asked tobe the woodworking and woodcarving merit badge counselor for my son'd scout troup. They average about 12 years old. I'd like a flat work project that takes maybe a couple 1x8's or so. Gotta keep costs low. I don't mind them using the bandsaw and slcs. If we need to rip, I'll do it for them. They are also going to turn a slimline pen each. Any thoughts?

Birdhouses.

Band saw box?

Jewelry/whatnot box for their mom.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I led scouts on a ww project, I chose toolboxes. To keep the cost down I used 3/4" plywood. It was a really fun evening and the boxes were really nice. I'd advise to keep it simple as there will be many different skill levels at that age. For the more advance scouts, I let them sand down to 220 and then they had the option to paint also. Some just finished the box and some had time to sand and paint.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Jerry,

I would look at several things. First, look at the requirements for the merit badges at: http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php...dge_Worksheets

Next, figure out just what tools are available and the maturity of the boys. For some activities, it is not unreasonable to require a parent to be present to monitor their child's actions as you have them perform each task.

Then, pick a project that meets the requirements and capabilities of all. I would break the merit badge into a schedule and propose it to the Scoutmaster. There will always be a boy or two that can't make one session, so followup sessions should also be put into the schedule. If there is a large group, some sessions may have to be held more than once to accomodate all the scouts.

Often a school workshop or local shop might be able to provide space and tools. Often the troop can provide some finances to purchase some items, especially things like replacement blades and extra tools.

Once you look at everything, if you have any further questions, please contact me and I will try to assist. Last year, one of our counselors had the scouts make a stool to complete all of the requirements.

Guy Belleman
    BSA Assistant District Commissioner, Japan

forgot to mention, you can contact me at: guy.belleman--at--dodea.edu with the --at-- being @

I would have them make a simple toolbox. Mine measures 5 x 7 15 and is long enough to hold a claw hammer.Wood 006 (Copy).JPG

If they meet the requirements, a tool box or a saw bench seem like good candidates. Projects to push them farther along the path...

10. In 2010 when carpentry merit badge was available our boys built a step stool to give to their moms if they wanted to. They loved it. We let them use a bandsaw, scms and sanders; all with very close supervision of course. We also let them finish the project with their choice of stain and a coat or two of oil or water base poly. Took 3 nights and all of them remember it with fondness.

#1 Toolbox
    #2 Step stool

Both are easy and "safe". If you have a brace and bit, I found they just love to use that. A yankee drill for pilot holes for the nails, since a lot of them can't hammer a nail straight yet. Manual tools are pretty safe.

Good luck and it's great that you are active in scouting. Too much video games and electronic toys in this world now.....

Woodworking and Boy Scouts. Two of my favorite things.

Good for you.

Let me know if we can help. Maybe safety glasses?

Might be able to find some tools if you need them.

Oh, right. suggestion.

An open, tray type tool box with a cut out handle.

Tom
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Not exactly the right time of year, but what about the bandsaw reindeer.

Blog Entries
    Folks, look over the requirements before giving suggestions... certain tools and techniques are required.

Woodwork merit badge requirements: http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Woodwork
    Woodcarving merit badge requirements: http://usscouts.org/mb/mb118.asp

Blog Entries
    The woodwork MB is fairly involved and I'd only have the younger kids attempt it if they were mature enough (4 different projects).

Jerry, IMO for requirement #6 I like 6 b&d. They can make their own pencil or pen from a kit for 6b (exposure to lathe and drill press + blank prep). For 6d they can use a bandsaw and various sanders to make a toy for needy children. Often a local guild will have a needy children toy program (with plans & a place to accept donations).

For the carpentry requirements they can volunteer at Habitat for Humanity or a similar organization. Just make sure that they'll be actually doing the building and not schlepping supplies. When I got the MB we were repairing walls & doing trim work on a house our church owned (i.e. learned how to measure and cut a 2x4, learned how to cut & install base moulding, etc.).