Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An engraved bronze chariot plane I made

Cool! Any pics of the chisels?

No,the toe is not adjustable. You make it how you want it and that's it.

Beautiful hammers George!

I have some nicer ones. You could actually make these hammers yourself if you could get your wood lathe to run slowly,and had a 3 jaw wood turning chuck on it. The hammers were turned freehand with carbon steel wood lathe chisels on a metal turning lathe. The handle hole was drilled,and filed oval with a round file. 3/8" hole. The hole should also be filed bottle necked inside,so that when you drive in a wooden wedge,the hole is a little larger at the front (and rear) so the handle can't easily come loose.

If you had a VFD variable speed device on your 3 phase lathe,you could get it to run plenty slow. The General variable speed lathe has that. Lathe must be 3 phase,though. It operates on 1 phase though,with the VFD.

5. Hi George, I don't have a clue what I would do with them. but I want one of each. Cheers Pedder

Pedder,maybe we could trade some hammers for a saw. It'd be a while before I could get to them,though. Other jobs for my wife must be done.

7. Hi George,

it will be a great honor to make a saw for you!

Cheers
    Pedder

Pedder,I can't send you a message,apparently. I sent one to Klaus. Selling is not permitted on this forum.I'm not sure if trading is permitted. We'd better continue this with PM's just to be sure.

How did I miss this thread? You snuck it in when I wasn't looking, George. Beautiful little plane. I like the hammers too. Makes me want to go turn one of my own.

That is one reason why I post things like the hammers. They aren't real hard to make,and are nice to have around. I'm glad you enjoyed the post.