Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Recommendation for Lightweight Cordless Drill

Most definitely the drill. I also agree with the others to go with the combo.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Okay, thanks everyone for your recommendations. But one more question - would you buy a drill or a driver (such as this one)? The driver is a bit shorter and less expensive. I can buy hex shank drill bits and use it as a drill or put driver bits in to use it as a screwdriver.

Also, I think someone makes a chuck that fits a driver so I could have a chuck if I needed it.

Mike

Bosch 12V have preformed perfectly for several years of hard use. Let me put it this way--if these gave up the ghost today, I'd feel like I totally got my money's worth and buy new ones.

The stand up feature of the Dewalts would be appealing though. I suppose they are little less comfortable reaching into small spaces, but I know I'd prefer standing them up around the workbench instead a laying them down like the bosch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Okay, thanks everyone for your recommendations. But one more question - would you buy a drill or a driver (such as this one)? The driver is a bit shorter and less expensive. I can buy hex shank drill bits and use it as a drill or put driver bits in to use it as a screwdriver.

Also, I think someone makes a chuck that fits a driver so I could have a chuck if I needed it.

Mike
    Most definitely the impact driver.

This is where these little tools really shine, and drilling can be done with your more powerful cordless or plugins.

But really, you need to buy the combo!

I have both the Milwaukee and the Bosch. The Milwaukee is the one I use the most, but the batteries are crap. The Bosch seems much better made. I couldn't live without the torque settings for an everyday drill.

I use a Bosch 36V LiOn Hammer Drill as my go to drill. It's a beast, but won't fail at any task. I can't imagine working with it overhead all day, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I have both the Milwaukee and the Bosch. The Milwaukee is the one I use the most, but the batteries are crap. The Bosch seems much better made. I couldn't live without the torque settings for an everyday drill.
    It is funny, if you take the batteries apart, the Bosch, Ridgid and the Milwaukee they are all the same batteries inside. I have taken all 3 apart and found this, they are wired a little different but that is it, the batteries are all the same with the same part number on them and are made in Canada.

I have had the Bosch and now have the Milwaukee and really could see no difference in the way they worked. The thing I did find was the features.

The Milwaukee has a quick chuck on the drill which I really like and a battery indicator on the side. The impact driver just has the battery indicator and does not have the quick chuck.

I now just have the Milwaukee drill and impact driver.

This is the drill, what I really like is the 1/4" chuck, pull it out and it stays out, put the new bit in and it snaps closed makes for a one handed operation.
    http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/c...driver/2401-22

This is the impact driver I have, it does not have the neat cluck on it but I don't have to change out the drivers that much so it is not a real problem.
    http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/c...driver/2450-22

I have the small batteries in both, for my needs I don't want a big drill or driver, I want something that is small. I put the correct bit in the drill for the screws I will be using and the correct drive for the screws and go to it, drill the holes, drive the screws.

I have a Makita driver(6903vd) that I bought in 2000 and I use it almost every day. It is light weight and I use quick release drill bits in it. It is a 9.4 volt Nicad battery pack and it is strong enough to break off a 3/8" bolt! I finaly had to have a battery pack rebuilt here locally and it cost me $22.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

If you decide on the Milwaukee you might check this maybe a freebie:

http://p1.hostingprod.com/@tools-plu...ir-q1-2012.pdf
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Mike,

I have the Milwaukee M12 driver. Very lightweight, good power and chuck and fast recharge. All in a sensible canvas case. I am very pleased. I have driven 3" deck screws with it into 40 year old studs without complaint. I also have have a standard size PC Drill/driver (14.4). I reach for the Milwaukee more and more

Blog Entries
    Mike,

I have the Makita 10.8 volt combo kit and it works GREAT......

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LCT203W.../dp/B001DNMUZG
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I bought the Milwaukee 3/8ths chuck. It has drill, screw, and hammer settings on the single unit. A little over $150. Comes with two batteries and quick charger.

Lots of folks recommend the Makita as being the best. This may be true.

However, after two months of use, I'm really pleased with my Milwaukee. Lots of power. 3 inch screw in red oak no problem. I too like the battery indicator on the side. It also has a LED that lights up when you pull the trigger and it's surprised me in how helpful it is with these older eyes.

I too was temped by the HD brand drill with the life time warranty on the batteries. It just didn't fit my hand as well and I've had a great experience with the Milwaukee D-handle router I bought 4 years ago.

I think you can't go wrong selecting either the Makita or the Milwaukee. My other drill is a 14.4v Ryobi and it's still going strong except for the two batteries that came with it. I've used it for about 8 years. I bought a replacement battery at HD for $32 and it has brought new life to the drill. Having both ready to work is very handy. Drill bit in one and counter sink in the other...cake and eat it too! Hoot!
    Last edited by Terry Beadle; 02-04-2012 at 1:47 PM. Reason: corrected voltage on Ryobi

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    It is funny, if you take the batteries apart, the Bosch, Ridgid and the Milwaukee they are all the same batteries inside. I have taken all 3 apart and found this, they are wired a little different but that is it, the batteries are all the same with the same part number on them and are made in Canada.
    Interesting. My Bosch batteries last forever, and the Milwaukees are frequently failing. Lot's of people on Amazon's website dis the Milwaukee batteries too.

I have the Makita 18v L-ion. So far, so good. Of course, right after I bought it, the impact/driver kit was selling for just a little more than just the drill. Oh well.....
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I have that 12V DeWalt DCD710 you mentioned. No complaints, no issues. Great for light to medium duty use. Decent clutch too. Unlike some the lower settings are actually useful with smaller fasteners. I bought the 3pc combo with the drill, impact, and screwdriver. I really like the balance and form factor on these better than the battery-in-fat-handle types.
    - Tom

The 12V Max Dewalt units are by FAR the best ones out there in that class. Most comfortable to use, most powerful, and close to the least expensive. The Milwaukee unit feels like a brick in comparison. You would definitely be best off to get the drill/impact driver kit instead of just the drill -- it is about the same price on discount. At Christmas time, I found the kit and an extra battrey for exactly the same price as the drill alone.