Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Recommendation for Lightweight Cordless Drill

I needed to replace my 14 V DeWalt a couple months ago. I purchased the Makita combo 18 V Lithium at what I thought was a good deal online. The light weight combined with power is a pleasant improvement. I never had an impact driver before, but it is a great tool. I can't compare to other brands, but I am very well satisfied. My suggestion is a combo (top priority to whatever brand you end up with).

2. I have the 12v Max Dewalt, I would spend the little extra cash and get the DCK211S2 as it has the drill/driver and impact driver. I personally did not like the form factor for the Bosch/M12 and preferred the dewalt style. You may want to go to your local HD and try out the m12 vs the dewalt see which feels better.

About five years ago, I bought my first Ridgid 12 V LI drill. I now own five (one was stolen.) I signed all up for the LSA, and have gotten two sets of FREE batteries ( a real selling point to me. But I use my every day in my business. I put a years worth of hobbiest wear on mine every month.

I went with the Milwaukee m12 system for my "small" cordless tool combo. Bullet proof. On a "help Mom and Dad out" week end with out the full complement of tools, ie not 18v or corded tools, I tortured my driver. Used 4 batteries, two chargers to continuosly drive deck screws. Ocasionally stopped to put the driver in the Freezer when it became too hot to hold. Not ideal, had to get it done, hoping not to let the smoke out. Eight monthes later, all four batteries and driver are still in sevice. Luck, dumb, had to take the risk, you call it. Dewault 18volt Lithium Ion rules. I've seen lug nuts removed.

I just purchased the Bosch http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...pid=CLPK23-180 two drill kit at Lowes recently to replace my Ryobi 18v. The Ryobi was alright but it doesn't hold a candle to the Bosch units. I really like the Bosch and the power is pretty impressive. The other thing about these Bosch drills is that the batteries charge in nothing flat. I mean it takes about 20-30 min. for them to charge completely and they seem to run quite a long time before i have to plug it in again. And then i just unplug the battery in the charger and keep right on going while the other is charging. The impact driver is something new to me and it has come in handy but I use the drill more than the impact. I really like the drills and would recommend them if you are on the fence. I got mine for $199 but I have seen them lately on sale for about $180-185. Comes with a nice blow molded case which always gets stored.... and some belt clip holders for those times when you are on the ladder and need to put it down.

I bought the Makita 18V lithium drill and impact driver combo - the blue ones with the bigger batteries. That was about two years ago. They're still going strong. I like them so much that I bought a second identical combo because I was doing a lot of bit swapping. So now I have two sets and couldn't be happier. They're certainly heavier than the 12V DeWalts, and the DeWalts seem like they would do everything I need. However, I don't carry them around all day, just use them as shop tools and around the house, so the weight wasn't an issue for me.

I decided to splurge and bought the Festool CSX drill. I just got it today so I'll let you know later how I like it. My other drills are DeWalt 18V and this one is a heck of a lot lighter. But I have two DeWalt drills, one to drill the hole and one to put the screw in. So maybe I'll have to buy another CSX.

I could have bought the DeWalt drill/impact driver combo for less than the Festool so maybe I'll regret not buying that set. I wish I could have used both the DeWalt and the Festool for a while before making a decision.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

All of my tools are either the 18V (XRP) dewalt or the M12 Milwaukee stuff. They had a little inexpensive M12 kit with a tiny hammer drill and an impact driver which are rapidly becoming my favorites.

Congratulations! Tell us how you like it!

Blog Entries
    Yea Mike,
    I was late getting here but I was going to suggest: the Festool, the Festool or the Festool. I got the T15, a little larger, about a year ago and love it. The box with all the chucks etc. makes it a single answer to all problems. You even have room for drills, bits...in the top. The batteries last extremely well compared to anything else I have used too. I like hand braces & drills for some things but for quick construction work and times when I need to drive a bunch of holes or drill many good size holes the Festool drill is great. If I had it to do over I would probably get the drill you got. I thought I might need more power, but I think I am over powered. I think the Festool drill will out last several of the normal drills with brushes too, so I think it is a better bargain than most people realize.

I was talking to a carpenter the other day who has about a half dozen Festool sanders that he uses every day and has for over 7 years, not a single repair, they just keep on & on & on.....

I will add a vote for the Bosch series. I have had mine for years and power, battery life have exceeded my expectations. Also I recently bought another and a part was missing an Bosch sent that part and asked if I needed it right aways they would take the part of a new tool to accomadate me. Great service from Bosch and as of now I have the Driver/Drill, Impact, Angle head driver/drill, drill with chuck and multi-tool. I have been very happy with them and I understand they will continue to build on these models with new tools.
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

I recently got the 20v max dewalt kit. The drill is a little larger than the comact model but it is a beast that also has hammer function. The 20v impact drive is another beast that has the most compact top end of any unit I compared. This is my first dewalt cordless experience and I couldnt be happier.

Interesting, Only one mention of PC. Dick B.
    Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC -->
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I have had a 12v Panasonic for about 15 years, it is bullet proof. I have also owned Dewalt, Hitachi, and Makita and none compare well. Although the Makita is good. I have replaced the NiMH batteries once. They are not cheap and aren't light like the Makita but it will run all day and I love the chuck.

ALl of the brands mentioned are great tools but I wanted to throw a vote in for the Hitachi 12v. I bought the combo pack (drill, impact driver and flashlight) and couldn't be happier with size, quality and performance.