Thread: My homemade Cheap Chip/dust separator

My homemade Cheap Chip/dust separator

Being cheap, and not wanted to spend $200+ on a larger dust collector (plus I don't have the room), and I already have a single stage 1hp dust collector, that would need emptied only after a few boards.

I started reading about all the different ideas on here and the internet. I found Phil Theins site and read thru many of the articles and designs, I didn't want to use up the can space, so I made the Top Hat version from some of the other designs for my 20 gallon can. Then, I made a stand to hold my collector/motor.

I must say, It works quite well, after a few tests with different piping configurations (without the stand), I would say 99% falls out into the can. I am happy with the performance.

I will upgrade the exhaust from the bag to an actual filter type like many larger ones use to decrease the fines even more.

Thanks for all the great ideas on here. Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

nice mod! probably takes up way less room than a regular dust collector too... hmmm....

omg i just ready phil's site and read the instructions that were posted on the freeforum on how to build one of these things and it looks VERY DOABLE and yet still effective. hats off to you, phil!!!

Thanks. There is an exhaust bag (I think like 30 micron?) that hangs off the back of the collector. The little wire and hook is to secure it when I take the can out, it raises up about 1" and then it is supported on the back 2 braces.
    Last edited by Dave Wagner; 02-04-2012 at 11:46 AM.
    Dave W. -
    Cuba, NY

is it necessary to still have an exhaust bag?

Probably, there is still some REAL FINE stuff that might get thru....that get sucked up and doesn't fall out.
    Dave W. -
    Cuba, NY