Thread: cabinet door router table reborn

cabinet door router table reborn

i had this router table mounted on a cabinet that racked severely due to the thin face frames that weren't adequately strong enough to support the weight of the table and its four routers so i got some kiln dried 2x4's and lag screwed everything together and used exterior grade plywood for the top and bottom and mounted swivel locking wheels from rocker's along with some new router switches. i had previously used two swivel wheels and two fixed wheels which drove me absolutely CRAZY because it was annoying as anything to try to remember which way to steer the cabinet which groaned with every turn. the open frame design will also make it easier to run dust collecting hoses up to the dust collection ports on the top which i was unable to utilize previously due to an error on my part in not factoring in how large the router plate for the panel raising router would be

Man, that's about $1K worth of rolling cabinet! Don't let it roll away.

I guess it's about time you made some doors huh?

Todd

lol yah the bathroom vanities are the last part of my master bathroom remodel which has been going on for over a year now!

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    lol yah the bathroom vanities are the last part of my master bathroom remodel which has been going on for over a year now!
    Got you beat. 2 years.

I hereby dub thy "cabinet door router table," Routerzilla.

I don't see anything to prevent racking, you get none?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    Got you beat. 2 years.
    rofl thanks todd, that makes me feel a lot better!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I hereby dub thy "cabinet door router table," Routerzilla.

I don't see anything to prevent racking, you get none?
    well thus far it's holding together pretty nicely without additional reinforcement but i was thinking about lag screwing in three more pieces to retain access for the vacuum and dust separator (not phil thien brand lol)

What are the dimensions of the top. What size routers are you using in it.....Nice Idea so you don't have to change bits doing cabinet doors.

jay, it's about 2' x 3' in an attempt to emulate the rbi panel master cabinet door shaper. i've got a 3hp bosch on one side for panel raising, a 2 hp bosch next to it for rails, a 2 hp ridgid next to that one for stiles and a pc 610 (don't you just LOVE these guys???) for face frame beads. just hooked up a six outlet extension to rocker's power tool/vac switch and managed to have enough room to squeeze in my ridgid shop vac. i need a slightly shorter container to fit in the cyclone though...

Interesting way to do it Frank. I like it.

I have collected all the parts to do a twin router table, and thought I might as well also mount a little router on the end, just for quick roundovers. I picked up a couple of the medium size router lifts when they came out about a year ago, and have a couple 690's to put in them. For the little one on the end, I picked up several small routers on CL for 10-30 bucks each.

Rick Potter

PS: My house remodel is in its seventh year. The kitchen is going on two.

I like the color contrast between the red trim and the natural pine.

thanks floyd! the original cabinet it sat on was painted in that brick red milk stain paint. rick, my only regret is that i didn't leave enough space to allow for a central vac hose to come through the center of the table as well as using a thicker top. the thing sags badly all over and i had to compensate by raising the router plates at least 1/8" above the surface of the table so that the table ends didn't end up ruining the cut. i'm beginning to have pre-traumatic stress syndrome over the kitchen which is definitely #2 on my wife's list - it wouldn't been #1 if it hadn't been for the master bath! aren't those PC 690's the best? i started off with one and then acquired at least 3 more off of craigslist over the years. great little routers and it saves time swapping out bits!