Thread: Question about mesquite

Question about mesquite

I got a piece of mesquite from a friend a few weeks ago and I've been studying on what to do with it.

I don't have any experience with mesquite. I'm very impressed with the bark and was thinking about trying to make a natural edge bowl but I'm wondering if this is going to work. THe bark varies between about 3/8 and 1 inch think with lots of gnarly crevices. Is it worth trying to make a natural edge bowl with this stuff or not worth the trouble. The bark looks pretty sound as does the transition to the sapwood, which is not very thick. I got this wood in January but I'm not sure when it was cut but probably not long before that. The piece I have will possibly make a bowl that would be 8-9 inches across and 4-5 inches deep.

Any thoughts (other than, "you'll never know until you try") before I give this a go? Does anyone have any stories of success or failure in turning a NE bowl out of rugged-barked mesquite?

Thanks.

I usually remove the bark on mesquite as I approach final thickness. Just me though. Just personal preference.

Try keeping it... If you don't like it, peel it off.

Jon

I turn mesquite fairly often. As with any NE wood piece, I usually run CA glue into the bark just above the wood. The bark either stays during the turning or it flies off naturally or because I did something stupid. The CA just gives me some reassurance that I tried. Bark can/will chip off on NE pieces as they age. So far the CA seems to help as I have some pieces 4yrs old that still have all the bark. Worms/worm holes are common so they create weak spots in the bark/wood so be prepared to fill them as needed. I use coffee grounds & CA when there are just a few small ones; otherwise, I use a colored epoxy or inlace type material to accent them when there are a lot of them.

I like to emphasize the contrast of the yellow cambium under the bark when possible, but the worm holes can make the effort even more "interesting!" This is a piece I turned about 15yrs. ago, and the bark has been very stable since it was saturated with thin CA during turning. Just make sure all the worms are dead before selling it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

you can do a lot with mesquite, look at jefferson cup on right, bark, sapwood, heartwood, i liked it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jamie is right. Thin CA does wonders on mesquite bark. Soak and turn.

Alan

Great wood to turn. Very stable and I have turned several NE bowls with no problem with the bark. Just watch your cuts.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.