Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Household uses for laser?

Blog Entries
    If you get bored, Dee, feel free to make me a few bunches and send my way...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I'm a firm lover of candy floss two so feel free to send to me as well
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

I don't know anyone else that has their own cotton candy machine, enjoy!

(I can just see the crowds of kids hanging around your front yard this summer when you use it with the window open and they smell it!)

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Dee
    You have a cotton candy machine?????

That really one-ups my pop corn popper.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

How about bachelor buttons? My expanding waistline puts some pressure on the top button of my jeans resulting in loss or breakage of said item. Solution, cut 2 x 15-20mm 3mm acrylic discs with two small slots in the middle.
    Take a small plastic cable tie and thread from top through top disc down through fabric then bottom disc and back up through discs and fabric. Zip through other end of cable. Trim off excess and there you go. Pants securely fastened once more!
    Last edited by Hilton Lister; 02-18-2012 at 3:12 PM. Reason: correction
    Hilton Lister. NZ
    GCC Spirit 60w. Meistergram 912, Gravograph IT, Old Roland Vinyl Cutter, Hand engraving, Retired

I just saw a very cool item on Etsy. They were baby teethers in the shape of a remote control or a smart phone, made in maple and waxed with beeswax. Very well done and a great use for a laser.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

Hi All,

The gasket for my blender died. I had some food-grade silicone around, so I measured the old gasket and cut a new one.
    My wife bought a shelf "assembly" for the bathroom that attached to the wall at 4 places. Completely out-of-square.
    I measured the location of the mounting points, programmed them into Corel, and cut small holes in a piece of poster-board to make myself a template for drilling. Went up without a hitch!

Tim
    Last edited by Tim Walters; 05-02-2012 at 12:26 AM.
    Tim Walters
    Hyperion Lasers
    Atlanta, GA
    Custom-Built 80W (EFR ZX-1250), 6' x 6' work area, 18" Z-axis

I did not like the spray pattern in my shower head, so I cut a new diffuser screen to make a much finer spray pattern also I have cut out some cookie patterns for baking and other assorted things.
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

Used the laser to cut new gaskets for the outdrives on the boat..Then sold the boat.. How do you spell relief?
    N.O.B.O.A.T
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

The first and about the only household thing I made was actually very effective and useful. I cut two pieces of 1/16" engraver's plastic into a semi-circle and taped them back to back on the sliding screen door to the deck. I remounted the inside and outside handles over them and secured them to the screen with double sided tape. They worked very well for years--particularly with my little granddaughter.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Just used mine to make an air intake "umbrella " for my 454 El Camino , I use a K&N triangular air cleaner that sticks out the bonnet. I had to destroy my carport for various reasons and now the car sits in the rain , unfortunately water gets into the engine bay thru the gap in the bonnet where the aircleaner sticks out , I just used 3mm Acrylic to make an oversized lid that sits atop the chrome air cleaner cover and overhangs the gap for when the car sits idle.
    Getting water into the engine bay is not really an issue , what is , is the fact the water mars the finish on the highly polished aluminium intake manifold and valve covers by leaving whiteish marks which need to be polished out. Silly use for a laser as I could just put a garbage bag atop the bonnet (hood in Yanklish) and weight it down...
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Sign for the house. There was a bit of kitchen worktop there before to stop the birds getting in. Not sure I'll cover the screw heads, you can hardly see them from the ground.

photo (1).jpg

close.jpg
    Shenhui 1280 100W RECI

Gorgeous building, John. Do you really have horses?

Oh, nice sign too! hahaha
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

photo.jpg

Last owner provided livery and taught equestrian studies, but we have converted some of the stables into workshop and the classroom into an office for the laser business, and the other stables are presently used for storage, with the land rented out to a farmer. We are not horsey, wondered about continuing the livery but the insurance, the hassle and disruption didn't seem worth it. We were wondering about extending the stables to garages but need to be careful in design so anyone in future could still use for horses.

A lot of these 19th century stone farm steadings around a courtyard are converted into lots of small houses, we were looking out for years for one where we could get the whole thing but not completely derelict and not so big that the only thing would be to convert to lots of houses attached together.

We have a cow shed to convert to a lounge this year, may see if we can laser some small details into the wood here and there. Picture attached, one of my coworkers at Cobb Tuning in Texas thought it looked older than the United States
    Last edited by john banks; 05-09-2012 at 5:19 AM.
    Shenhui 1280 100W RECI

I love the look of your place , that "barn" or whatever it is that you posted pics of can be really nicely "renovated".
    I think garage/workshop and living/office space is a far better use of the facilty , tons of potential buyers in the future and a good living environment for you in the present. Not sure how many "hoss" buyers there are out there , but it really limits your scope in how you want to convert the space if you have that in mind.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher