Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Household uses for laser?

Perfect! I'll do the install today!
    Marc Myer
    Epilog 35 mini

I am completely and totally embarassed to say that I have never used my laser to make anything for my house. I could sell a ton of dysfunctional valentines though! When I leave the office I try to put all work out of my mind, and that includes the laser. Oh, wait, I have thought of doing something for home. I just finished cutting 125 sheets of foam for toolboxes and I thought it would be neat to do that for my home toolbox.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Wow there's using that imagination Belinda .....some foam for your home toolbox ...wow...
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    Wow there's using that imagination Belinda .....some foam for your home toolbox ...wow...
    What can I say, Frank? My imagination is virtually nonexistent, and I'm not allowed to use mind expanding drugs. Does it help that I was also thinking of cutting foam for my jewlery making tools? The foam has a cutout for each tool that follows the outline of the tool. . . it's fancier than it sounds.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    I am completely and totally embarassed to say that I have never used my laser to make anything for my house.
    Oh Brilliant Belinda, but you have made some fantastic items for other people's homes! I remember you posting a really nice cork board you engraved with a floral graphic and then of course your cutting board that had the Frogmore Stew recipe on it. (I still need to try make that one of these days! It sounded so good and looked fairly simple to make!)
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Over the years I have had lasers, I have done a lot of stuff for my household , hifi and cars
    Mirror acrylic cladding for my fridge
    woodgrain formica to clad old rustic sidetables
    replacement of various sandblasted window panes
    cover for my pebble bed gas fire installed in a coffee table
    choc moulds and other bits for my daughters school projects
    lots of acrylic jewellery for my wife and daughter
    instructions and sensor locations for my alarm system
    configurable camera mounts for my surveliance system
    various panels or fixes for countertops to cover holes
    labels for many switches
    keyboard and keytags for household keys
    kitchen and bathroom items like soap dishes , cutlery rests , toilet and kitchen roller towel holders
    baize and felt pads for ornaments and the like
    custom message welcome mats
    acrylic cutting boards
    unbreakable shower mirrors

for my cars
    badges and decals
    wheelhub inserts
    complete dash claddings in woodgrain and carbon fibre
    new dial faces
    various brackets and wire separators

for my hifi
    vibration isolation tables for my valve amps and turntable
    boxes and fascias for DIY hifi projects
    diffraction rings for tweeters (foam and baize)
    valve tube dampers (silicon rubber)
    elevators to keep speaker cables off the floor
    turntable platter mats (neoprene , rubber , felt , baize)
    speaker tilting wedges
    remote holders
    isolation footers for other hifi components
    interconnect and cable tidys
    used the laser and my cnc machine for speaker enclosures

Been a sort of useful tool..

I do however have a project I have been stumped on for about a year or more , got an alcove , as seen in the pic (grey cupboard thing next to open plan kitchen) , that now has 2 centre opening doors to hide it (woodgrain) , I am looking to use the 12 colours of mirror acrylic , formica , veneer , engraving lams and acrylic sheeting to make a mural that sits on the doors that will compliment the african feel of the lounge it faces (other pic), I have yet to get inspiration on this one... it's a difficult one as the doors are about 9 ft high and about 20" wide each.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    I've always been a fan of art mirrors made of multiple triangular segments stacked on top of each other in various directions... not sure multiple colors would be my thing, though.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

My Wife likes overly ornate stuff - witness my master bathroom I'm not allowed to use - she wont go for abstract
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    Yeah, that's a bit too much motion on the walls for my taste... I'd shoot for marble a bit more subdued in texture. That'd be okay on the floor, though.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

AFB carb gasket. Needed the one gasket and did not want to buy a whole kit. Layed the pieces one scanner. Imported the image, cleaned it up a little and cut away.
    Carb gasket.jpg
    Al

40W MII W/Rotor
    Camaster Stinger III, Vectric Aspire
    Back up Vinyl cutter
    Roland 54" print/cut
    Laminator
    Strip heater
    Lasermaster 8.5, LXI Master Plus, Corel X4, Photograv, design shop pro
    Knight DC16, DK3 Mug Press, Hix HD400D, GX7000
    Embroidery
    Hot stamping

I recently made a vibration isolated camera mount for my quad copter.
    Epilog Profile 25 watt w/rotary, Homemade CNC, Vinyl Cutter, VCarve 4, Corel X3, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.

That looks cool Dave, have you posted any YouTube video of it's results yet?
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

http://youtu.be/0NKbwPM3dzE
    The original footage from the camera is excellent except for a bit of vibration. YouTube plus me scaling before encoding ruined the vid.I'm now using the laser to cut a laser pen balancing rig to balance the motors. I don't make alot of money with my laser, but it's invaluable for my RC/Robotics hobbies.

DAve
    Epilog Profile 25 watt w/rotary, Homemade CNC, Vinyl Cutter, VCarve 4, Corel X3, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.

Dave, that looks really cool. I have been really interested in the quadcopter lately. Did you build yours from scratch, or a kit? Rather than hijack this thread could you possibly (PM) send me some info on it?

Thanks,
    Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce Dorworth; 02-10-2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: correction
    Hardware: Chinese Laser
    GWeike C1290 80 watt Reci laser
    Home built CNC, Joe's hybrid 4x4
    12" Delta Bandsaw, Jet Table Saw
    Router table, and more.
    Software: CorelDraw Suite 5x
    PhotoShop 7,

I had a need to make something today, so here's my gloat: I got a kick butt cotton candy machine for my birthday (early) so I made a holder for the cones out of plexi... not the most challenging job, but very useful!
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong