Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Lunar Tide"

"Lunar Tide"

In years past and prior to woodturning, I did some clay work. I have been wanting to combine some sculpting with turning, and thought this might be a good starter piece to see how it might be used. The form is curly maple, dyed Transtint blue, with some black around the opening and base to shade it. The finial cove is holly, and I just picked up one of the waste tenon pieces I keep on my bench - probably poplar - for the crescent. The "man in the moon" is Apoxie - a two part sculpting compound. It is airbrushed black and blue. Finish is lacquer base, with WOP.

Dimensions are about 5.75" x 5.75", and the walls are about 1/8". The "moon" is 1.75" in diameter. I will use black gesso on the interior of the form, but that has not been done yet.

This is something really new for me, and I would like your thoughts on the concept - whether you like this particular piece or not. I have some other ideas I might like to try. And, of course, if you have comments - good or bad - on this piece, please feel free.

LUNAR TIDE 1.jpg LUNAR TIDE 2.jpg LUNAR TIDE 3.jpg LUNAR TIDE 5.jpg LUNAR TIDE 4.jpg

Love the colors and the moon man really works with the piece. The blue / black contrasts well with the blue / white figure of the hollow form.

I like that. Great detail in the man in the moon! And the HF is beautiful. The only thing that stuck out in my brain was maybe a few white specks for stars on the HF, but then you'd mess up the wood. Perhaps that's another HF using wood with a bit less character. Great job on it, very unique!

Hi John, If I saw this piece sitting on a table I never would have guessed you did it. This is very different than anything I have ever seen.......and that is why I really like it. The opportunity to really stylize each piece is absolutely unlimited with this type of finial. I can see a lot of finials that could be designed with a Marilyn Campbell influence. Marvelous job.
    I turn, therefore I am

Excellent work on all aspects of this piece, just not sure if they should be together, but the coloring you've done does unite it.
    Having just spent the day at a seminar with Alan Carter I'm seeing other visions for work such as this piece.

John

John,
    This sure is a great piece! I love the color and the moon is very different. I really like you you tied the two pieces together with color. I love it!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

I am finally getting used to all you folks that are using dye, it is growing on me. The hollow form looks to be a very good form, you continually produce classic forms. For me the moon does not seem to fit, however that being said I am quite sure the piece put on display would have plenty of folks in line to purchase the piece. So it is me that has trouble changing from basic wood turnings. I think you have a very nice piece that will generate a lot of interest.

John,

I like this a lot. Anytime I see something "out of the box" it immediately gets my attension. The form is perfect, as is the coloring. Great transition leading to the moon, as well. I like the you went with a simple cove as opposed to something fancy that might detract from the feature element. My very first though after the "oh thats cool", was that the moon is a little too large. I also think that the black and blue of the moon hides too much of this very cool feature. Having said that, a very light "moon colored" moon might look really odd. Maybe if the moon was made with the curly maple and done in the same fashion as the form so that the curl would "show through" and add a highlight to the top of this piece.

Your sculpture of the man looks fantastic too.

Another great one John. Would look great on anyones display shelf.... for sure.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

9. Just AWESOME!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

What a cool piece, John! The sculptural portion of this is the highlight for me... That's saying alot given how beautiful the main form is! If I were to be critical, the moon sits a little too high on the form for me... I had issues with placement and height on the monkey pod piece I posted a while back, so I know what a challenge it is to place these atypical finials. The uniqueness of this piece will make it stand out in a gallery, and I'd bet that someone will snatch it up rather quickly!

Spectacular. The finish is and color a masterful and the "Man in the Moon" is wonderful.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

As usual, your form, dye and finish are just impeccable. You're quite the artist. The detail on the moon man is well done. I like the concept.

Wow, that is cool.

John,

I really like this piece, I love the color and find the finial to be very fun and whimsical.

Well Done.

Alan

This is a great piece John. Love the colors and the finish. The only thing I would suggest is that the moon be a little smaller. As usual, another Keeton masterpiece.