Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What's going on with this finish

John-
    Your finish is something I aspire to. I've accomplished this several times, but never predictably. I love OV blends because they do not 'build'. I have not yet, though, settled on a sanding regimen in between coats. The two woods I work most with are walnut and cherry. They seal, fill, and build at quite different rates. Always eager to improve...

I have abandoned the Minwax Tung Oil Finish because it's too soft. Oil/varnish blends do indeed build, if the ratio of varnish is high enough. I would guess that even a 50/50 mix will build and fill pores. A 90% oil/10% varnish should, per Flexner, behave like oil. I don't think it will build or protect your wood.

For my gunstocks, I'm trying the Rockhard. I don't think there's any secret to the finishes above. I'm still in the process of filling the pores on the 20 gauge stock. Once that's done, I'll put a second-to-last coat on, and sand with 320 to make sure it's all level. After the final coat, I'll wait a month or so, then rub it out. I'll start with 1000 grit and mineral oil, the either 1500 or 2000 grit, and finish up with rottenstone/mineral oil. Should be a piece of cake.