Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lighting design questions - T5 and T8 fixtures

Jim and Jack. If the article is worked on in the Author's Forum there can be plenty of assistance. As for author's name, that is easily fixed by Aaron in seconds. I'll try to keep up with what you are doing and while somewhat computer challenged myself, I have the ability to direct SMC resources to help out.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Dave and Jack,
    I just looked at the Authors Forum and became a member of that forum. I would be happy to post up whatever you have to share Jack as far as a lighting technology article. I am an IT Support Engineer so manipulating the computer end of things is quite easy for me. It looks as though it is just a normal forum page just like any other and then Aaron takes the finished piece and then reformats and posts it to the Homepage etc. As far as attachments like pictures/charts etc. I have scanning equipment and image editing software (Photoshop) so i can manipulate the pics/charts or any accompanying data in any way I need. As far as posting it to the forum Dave is there a way to post attachments so that they will live on the forum in perpituity? I normally host my own photos etc. but if I remove those items then they are removed forever from the forum post/thread. In this case you definitely want to have the accompanying material stay with the article for life. I know there are specific image size requirements etc. when you post normally in the forums, are these same limits in place in the Authors forum?

Anyway I thought I would offer to assist as I too would love to see an article posted up about lighting that is up to date and Jack seems to have many years of extensive training and education in this arena. Let me know and feel free to PM me if you like to keep this discussion off the forum.

Blog Entries
    I'll chime in with thanks to Jack for his original article, it was invaluable when designing the lighting for my wife's weaving studio. The electrical contractor thought I was putting in at least 4 times the lighting needed, but it turned out perfect with even lighting with good color character to enable working with dyeing and weaving at night as well as during the day.
    Your original article was much appreciated and a more extensive updated version would be great!

Thanks, Bill. It's great to hear from fellow woodworkers who have benefitted from the original article. This one will be far more in-depth and actually walk the readers through the design of a system for a small shop so they will be able to do it themselves. I think that will be far more beneficial than what we did in FWW.

Jim, Jack, and Michael

The author's forum allows interaction to toss out ideas in addition to posting the component parts of an article. I believe the picture file size requirements for articles remain the same as on the other forums but because the final formatting is done by Aaron, the number of photos, charts, etc is not limited. All of the content would be permanently house on the SMC server so it would not be lost. That is why we encourage folks posting pictures to upload them to SMC rather than having them link to an outside source. I am going to PM Aaron and invite him to join this thread. As for assistance, there is no technical reason that both Jim and Mike can't assist Jack. I wrote a technical paper last fall for use by myself and my employer to aid customer design efforts and the tolerancing of those designs. I had its various iterations reviewed and commented on by several trusted customers before releasing the final version. Extra sets of eyes can be really useful to catch the things you've missed after re-reading your own work for the umpteenth time and seeing only what you expect to see.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Hello Jack,

“Do you need more 24" fixtures due to their higher brightness? Fixture brightness has nothing to do with how many fixtures you need. The required number will be determined by the desired lighting level, the lumens produced by each fixture, and how well the fixture performs in your shop.”

I have access to the following “high end” surplus 24” T-5 fixtures at a price slightly lower than 48” T-8 strip fixtures and was hoping brighter fixtures would equal fewer fixtures and less capital outlay. (Hope is usually not a good design tool. )
    http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...2rdi_114t5.pdf
    Now I understand that I would need twice the 24” fixtures to eliminate dark areas between fixtures. I’m going to punt and go with the 48” T-8 fixtures.

“If this doesn't make much sense just give me the dimensions of your shop, the colors used to paint the ceiling and walls, and any other pertinent info such as how the fixtures will be mounted - suspended or directly to the ceiling. Are you using strips or enclosed fixtures? I'll give you some more definitive suggestions when I have more info.”

My next shop is going to be 24’ x 36’ x 10’ ceiling with white walls and white ceiling, 48” T-8 strip fixtures surface mounted to the ceiling. Regarding lighting level and lumens, I’m old enough to need more light than in my earlier years.

I recall having read your FWW article when it was published, and will review it again when I unpack my FWW’s. (remodel project currently in progress) I also am interested in your proposed update to that information in whatever format you present. I appreciate your time.

Glenn

Hi Glenn, I think you've made the right decision. I'm not knocking the T5 fixture because it is a good choice for the proper application. I just don't believe a small woodworking shop is the right place for a number of reasons which I'll discuss in the article, which I have already started. FYI - your original post, coupled with others, is what made me decide to publish a new article. This time I'm going to present an easy to use method of designing a lighting system for a small shop so anyone can do it with a reasonable degree of confidence.