Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: grizzly cyclone

Red face grizzly cyclone

about 6 weeks or so ago i started a thread re grizzly's about to be released cyclone DC's.
    The release date has been delayed..and i have checked their website.
    Now i don't know if it's old age or what but does anybody recall the original costs of these cyclones..the prices on their website now seem a little higher to me.
    anyone??
    thanks
    Last edited by mike malone; 03-19-2005 at 2:04 AM.

I thought the same thing, but I, too, don't remember for sure. If you are interested in a cyclone soon, Clear Vue has their unit on sale...$200.00 off through the end of March. This is with his and Bill Pentz's newly designed impeller, mounting brackets, Leeson 5hp (3 hp continuous) motor, and 6 blast gates. Only thing not included is the waste barrel, flex host to it, and the filter. Add in for that and it's still $210.00 (+ or - a buck) less than the Grizzly. I wish I knew how the plastic material will hold up over long term, but it should be fine. Hope this gives you just one more thing to cloud the decision!!!! Jim.

I was also looking at the Clear Vue. Is that really $200 off? Its based on shipping costs of each piece individually, not shipped as a complete unit. Its hard to believe it would cost $190 shipping. I could be wrong!

Richard
    Last edited by Richard Wolf; 03-18-2005 at 8:36 PM.

I agree, but I have been watching the site pretty regularly, and the price has been the same for each part. I've e-mailed Ed Morgano several times, and each time he has answered very quickly with good answers. I'm thinking that because of size, each item has to ship in it's own box, therefore there might not be a shipping break for multiple items. You can look at the sale price as free shipping!!! plus an extra 10 bucks off. I feel good about Ed and Bill Pentz having a good relationship, and that Bill will actually get a part of the sale. For all the work he has done on dust collection and having his site up to help all of us, I hope what he gets from these sales will at least help him keep the site going for others. Jim.

I don't know if the prices changed, Mike, but the price for the 2hp unit isn't all that much lower than I paid for my 2hp Oneida Commercial system after negotiating my deal. Granted, I picked it up rather than incurred shipping, however...

The Grizzly site still claims April to begin sales...it's been that way for some time now.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just checked the griz site, had the price of the 2 hp written down, and
    delivered it was 903, when I made a note, and it is still that price. I ordered
    a woodsucker, with freight and switch was 1041. I think. After all I read,
    decided I would be better off with an aluminum impeller, as they say that
    steel can hit some kinds of chips and possibly create a spark. Don't want
    to risk a fire after spending the last year of spare time fixing up a building
    for the shop, and spending my wad on equipment. Jim

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew
    Just checked the griz site, had the price of the 2 hp written down, and
    delivered it was 903, when I made a note, and it is still that price. I ordered
    a woodsucker, with freight and switch was 1041. I think. After all I read,
    decided I would be better off with an aluminum impeller, as they say that
    steel can hit some kinds of chips and possibly create a spark. Don't want
    to risk a fire after spending the last year of spare time fixing up a building
    for the shop, and spending my wad on equipment. Jim
    Woodsuckers web site says their impeller is made of steel if I'm not mistaken. Have you received your DC yet and checked this out? I've been going back and forth trying to make up my mind which DC to buy/build. I have a 2hp import pulling through a home made cyclone that works really well but I want more cfm and my 11" or 12" impeller doesn't seem to be big enough. Woodsucker seems to be the best bang for the buck but I've heard that it's loud. I like how compact and rugged it is though. I'm also tempted to build a BP kit, but this isn't really saving any $ by the time you buy all the extra parts to finish it up. HELP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I don't know if the prices changed, Mike, but the price for the 2hp unit isn't all that much lower than I paid for my 2hp Oneida Commercial system after negotiating my deal. Granted, I picked it up rather than incurred shipping, however...

The Grizzly site still claims April to begin sales...it's been that way for some time now.
    That's a good deal. I bought mine before the availability of the smaller filter. Plus, I had to pay a serious amount in shipping (Even though I saved $100 by picking it up at the terminal). Mine wound up a couple hundred MORE than the 3HP Grizzly delivered.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Jay, there was a cosmetic "dent" in the outside of blower housing which helped grease the wheels. I was also a second time buyer and I'm sure that didn't hurt! I could have had a silver (old design) 3hp for the same price (a repo, I believe), but it was too tall for my situation since I was not willing to forgo the 55 gallon drum (once you upsize, you never go back!) As it is, my 2hp system has the motor stuck up between the joists to get the necessary headroom to accomodate the bin with a comfortable amount of flex between the cone and the drum. Regardless of what I paid, I feel I got a lot for my mony in performance and quality.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Grizzly cyclones

Mike,

Back in Feb. I printed the info on the 2 hp and 1 1/2 hp units. The 2 hp GO440 was listed to sell at $ 745.00 with $ 78.00 shipping. The 1 1/2 hp unit was $ 645.00 with $ 58.00 for shipping.

Grizzly has changed the look of their unit since that time, and their price. They are now advertising the 2 hp for $ 825.00 with $ 78.00 for shipping. The cyclone appears to have a longer taper that my Feb ad shows. The intake port shows a raised section and the angle bracket for the filter has been inverted.
    By comparision in Feb they listed Oneidas price tag at $ 1,244.73 with $ 250.00 shipping and now show a change to $ 1,367.75 with $ 250.00 shipping.

Kent

grizzly cyclone prices

Hi Kent..I knew someone was on their toes..and thanks for proving that senility hasn't quite set in yet.
    Best/mike

I just ordered the 2hp unit, G0440, from Grizzly. I'll let ya' all know when it's delivered and how easy it is to get into operation. Price was $903 delivered FOB. This will be my first DC of any kind, in the past I've just used a shop vac and wore P100 rated half-mask. For ducting I'm planning on going with spiral duct from Spiral Manufacturing.

-Mike

Cyclones

Mike,

Where is Spiral Manufactoring?

Do you know about Air Handling in Woodbridge, CT? check out their site at www.airhand.com. Lots of parts and pipe.

I'll be waiting for your Grizzly cyclone report as I suspect others will be.

Regards,

Kent

Kent,

Spiral Manufacturing Co.
    11419 Yellowpine St. NW
    Minneapolis, MN 55448

Ph: 763-755-7677
    Fax: 763-755-6184

http://www.spiralmfg.com/

I've read good things about them.

-Mike

Jim,

After my recent overfilling incidents, I'm thinking of upgrading to the bigger drum. I do have the ceiling height, but sure dread the thought of re-installing the thing a little higher.
    I'm pretty sure you mentioned that you empty yours as mulch somewhere on you land. One reason for not upsizing is that I really can't do that. I use 55 gal drum liner bags to empty my 35 gal into. Not sure how well they would hold an actual full 55 gal. If anyone has any advice there, I'd appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Parker
    By comparision in Feb they listed Oneidas price tag at $ 1,244.73 with $ 250.00 shipping and now show a change to $ 1,367.75 with $ 250.00 shipping.

Kent
    Oneida has filter and drum options that change the prices of their systems. So, take Grizzlys numbers with a grain of salt there. It appears to be the highest cost configuration. IMO, the large filter is cool, but unnecessary. So, take off a couple hundred there.
    I can verify the shipping charges are in the correct ballpark. But, again, you can choose terminal or doorstep delivery and pay different amounts. There's some factor for where you live also (though my shipping to DC terminal was still near the Grizzly number). Either way, Oneida does not have a good deal with the shipping companies. Assuming that actual Grizzly performance is in the ballpark they claim, my feeling is that the Oneida will still be worth the extra couple hundred dollars. But, once shipping is added in, it will be difficult to justify a $4-500 actual difference.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter