Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Snow Board for woodworkers who ride!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    Dave, i wish i could get there. my pass works at roundtop, liberty, and whitetail. and i have to try to fit it around college classes. and i have no car of my own on campus so i have to find a ride with someone else whos going. im still hoping for a snowday so i can go spend the day boarding
    Gotchya. Roundtop is as close to me as Camelback, if I get out that way before the season ends, I'll let ya know, wouldn't mind picking ya up, you'd pretty much be on my way to Roundtop...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Muckle View Post
    Dave,

I've had the bug for an Arbor snowboard longer than I've had the woodworking bug, but my old Burton just won't die. Maybe those boards are part of the reason I got into WW!

Andy
    Yeah I might not get the Arbor, from what I'm reading, they might be too advanced for a beginner. Plus, I'm only 5'7", so I should have a 151cm board, and the smallest arbor is 158 (i think). Burton does seem to make good boards!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Griffin View Post
    If you are a woodworker, no need to buy a wood one--make one.

My employee is an avid snowboarder and rides his homebuilt board several days a week.
    Steve, I believe all boards are made from wood. Plywood actually. Arbor just make a few that have a wood-grain finish instead of graphics.
    I thought about venturing into making my own, and maybe someday I will, but there is so much involved, especially now, there's different ways the boards are shaped with camber, reverse camber/rocker and such...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gaul View Post
    Gotchya. Roundtop is as close to me as Camelback, if I get out that way before the season ends, I'll let ya know, wouldn't mind picking ya up, you'd pretty much be on my way to Roundtop...

im game anytime after 5 tuesday thursday and anytime till 6 monday thursday
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Hey, Dave, pick Curtis up this Friday afternoon and you can both meet up with a two-planker... Try your hand at gates. It is the most fun you can have with your clot...never mind. Anyway, it is a vortex of sorts. It is recreational racing. You don't have to be good, just willing to try. $5 for two runs or $10 for unlimited runs. Then, you can look up how you did on Nastar.com . You get a "page" that shows all your stats. Here's mine. http://skiracing.nastar.com/index.js...&compid=448818 My mom is in her 70's and has done it. Did last year as a matter of fact. You can be 1 or 101. There is a handicap system and you get a "pin/medal" for your accomplishment. I can't paint enough of a fun picture about it. Come join me this Friday, guys...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Mike, that sounds like a lot of fun, and I would love to try that someday, but I am not even close to being ready for that! I've only been out twice... I can barely link my turns, and haven't quite mastered stopping yet!!

Good thing about racing is that you aren't judged on your stopping ability...

Okay, okay, I'll stop egging you two on to race. When you feel comfortable, give it a try.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Dave, i can teach you how to stop. i can kinda link my turns. we can try to teach each other. i got a lesson last time i was up but i wasnt able to stay after the lesson to try out what i learned. we can look like falling fools together

Thanks Mike, seriously, I would like to try that someday!

Curtis, I've taken two lessons so far, 2nd lesson my daughter & I leaped forward quite a bit in turning ability, but we still have lots of work to do!! That would be great man... but I gotta start falling less soon... not sure how much more my body can take!!!

so is operation roundtop a go then? lol

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    so is operation roundtop a go then? lol
    If we can get our schedules to match up once, sure! I'm a full-time single dad, so my time is limited too...

Are you guys talking about "in general" or this Friday?
    I drink, therefore I am.

I assumed we were talking in general... as much as I love to come out there this Friday, that won't happen for me.

i was talking about anyday that there is snow on the slopes

I've been at Roundtop the last three Fridays. The conditions are remarkably nice. This past Friday it was a bit choppy, but up until then, it was unbelievable...
    I drink, therefore I am.